What is an API? Reading Assignment

1. An API is an Application Programming Interface. It hides complexity from developers, makes components reusable, and extends systems to partners.

2. A Twitter API needs to send requests over the internet, while a Java API does not.

3. An example of an abstraction from my daily life is the Crypto Trading Charts I look at. The graphs and candlesticks could be thought of as a UI abstraction which makes it easier to understand the markets.

Yoshi, your abstraction example indeed does look like a complicated task, I would some day love to know how you coded it…
YC

Christian,
I dabble with Arduino, I could do most all, but does your shower use a solonoid or motor to turn on and off, could you provide me with a list of the hardware you used. Or was this purchased (the shower valve)

YC

1&2 – So the API for me is like the parts of a clock interacting with each other as an analogy. The one cog with 24teeth turns another cog with 156teeth, the resulting gear ratio of the two cogs having gear sex together would resemble twitter being able to have tweets, and then the function (which is the baby in this sense) of being able to then search those tweets, would be related in the sense that the gear ratio is only possible once the pre designed cogs, each with their own assigned amount of teeth, produce a desired result.(Baby, either ‘gear ratio’ or tweet search results. Perhaps the clock would be more along the style of Java API, and twitter, well is Just Twitter API…

3 An example of an abstaction in my life would be “cutting a piece of wood with a skill saw”. There are alot of hand body coordinations that need to occur in specific order and timing. In fact, if one were to write it down, it would take some time to log and read all the steps involved. This would be a task rather to practice over and over to the point that it becomes something that is done largely by memory and feel.

So for this example, If I were to only cut a piece of wood once in a while, I may be prone to think through several or most of the steps, which takes longer and could result in errors. So by practicing over and over, I was able to cut the piece of wood without thinking of the many steps and processes involved.

Finally, by using abstraction as a strategy, was able to take a very complicated task, and reduce the conscious thinking power needed to perform the task by removing alot of the repetitive thinking that would have to take place each time the task was performed by linking many of the actions to memory.

In the case of api the memory I spoke of would be akin to the back end software that allowed me to just pick up the saw and make the cut, because it was programmed, in my case by practicing…

1) What is an API? is a set of rule that explain how and why and in what manner the softwares work,

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs? the twitter is web-based , and the java is software tool based

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.

An example of abstraction is bank automatic payments of credit cards , or using the dominant part of the body to perform a specific task.

What is an API? an API is a specification of possible interactions with a software component.

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs? The Java API is included in the Java Development Kit, whereas the Twitter API is a web-based API and must be accessed by making requests over the Internet to services that Twitter hosts.

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life. I have to make my mortgage payment each month which entails taking money from my checking account in one bank and then depositing it into an account in another. Then making a payment from the 2nd account to pay my mortgage. Rather than doing each step manually, I have it set up where the funds are automatically transferred from one bank to the other each month and then the mortgage payment is automatically withdrawn from the second account. Thus, demonstrating the principle of abstraction: the way of organizing the complexity of a system so that complicated actions can be handled in a simple way.

1) What is an API?
It stands for Application Programming Interface. It is set of functionality provided by a software so that it can be used in your own front-end or backend application.

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
Java API is set of libraries providing all sort of general functionalities i.e. I/O, Security etc. Twitter is web based JSON API which provide Twitter related data access.

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
Abstraction is hiding complexity and details but providing enough information so that end user know the purpose and how to use any system. Smart Phone can be a perfect example of abstraction as they provide varity of functionalities without user to understand how it works.

1.API is an interface which programmers can easily use ,like tool box. It can seperate backend and frontend. and programmers don’t need to create same functions every time . Just use the interface and
parameters ,and they can get the right result.
2.Java API is compressed to a package, so programmers can use it offline. otherwise Twitter API is webAPI ,need to use it online.
3.When I go to 7-11 and order a black coffee. The stake just put the cup under the Coffee machine, and push the black coffe button. Wala! It makes a black coffee.

API, for application programming interface APIs help organize code and make components more reusable.

The Twitter API is a web-based JSON API your application are sent as an HTTP request, just like a web browser does.

Updating my my mobile phone system is a abstraction that hides the updates that is done with a touch of a button and most people know that.

1) What is an API? – An API is a point of intersection where you can request specific calculations/functions based on external data. It also gives you an opportunity to obtain results from already pre-programmed functions.

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs? – The main difference is that the Twitter API is used for obtaining results from Twitter data instead of only executing a pre-made function.

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life. - I put a lighter into the same drawer like my tobacco. Therefore I only have to open this one drawer to be able to smoke a cigarette.

1) What is an API?
An API is a programming module within a software that defines what and how to use. It simplifies the interaction with that programming module and provides efficiency within the software.

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
Java API is a local API processing the data and returns the results in form of a JSON file. The twitter API is a web-based REST API which will return the data to the client to process itself.

The aim of abstraction is the simplification. The daily basic human interaction is a significant example. I try to use simple, clear, open and transparent communication to have more efficient information exchange.

1) What is an API?

Ans. Application programming interfaces hide complexity from developers , organize code and make components reusable. It is a specification of possible interactions with a software component.

Ans. The Java API, which is included in the Java Development Kit, the Twitter API is a web-based API.

Ans. Philips Hue that have helped the company growth and in the creation of new products, services and processes that rely on Philips Hue’s API. The Philips Hue lighting system enables control of colored LED light bulbs via the Philips Hue API. Philips offers access to the API free of charge and the terms of use allow developers to monetize the apps they build for the Philips Hue.

1) What is an API?
Aplication Programing Interface
The Java API has lists for programing, which can be organized by command.
The Twitter API is web based and only works within Twitters servers to search tweets.
Everytime I dial a contact on my phone, it sends a signal that will be picked up by contact, no matter there location.

1) What is an API?
Application Programming Interface it’s how the Frontend and the Backend communicate *

The JAVA API is the way that developers can use as a sort-cut code with the Java Development Kit. it’s a “software API”. Unlike Twitter API, which is “Web API” that connect the frontend to the client servers using a request sent by internet

Good morning crypto abstraction: When I weak up the first thing to do, is watching Ivan it make me save a lot of time searching the news and doing analyses

1. What is an API?
    • Application Programming Interface - provides a structured “front-end” interface for interacting with the back-end system. It is a way for two applications to interact without direct access to each other’s code.
  2. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
    • The Java API is framework used to interact within the Java JDK, while the Twitter API is an interface to control Twitter functions over the web (client/server).
  3. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
    • Think of a power outlet in your house. You plug in your power cord into the interface and the outlet provides power based on the outlet configuration (ie. +/-/ground). You get power without truly understanding how it is delivered to the socket.

1) What is an API?

API is an Application Programming Interface. It facilitates communication between clients and servers.

Java API is a set of canned Java routines which simplifies writing programs. Twitter API simplifies communication between the client and Twitter’s database.

My flight from NYC to Boston has just been canceled due to weather. I ask my travel agent (an AI app) to find the fastest way to get to Boston, considering alternative means of travel. It presents me with options ranked in order of least travel time and including cost for each. I choose one and the agent books the trip and charges my credit card.

1) What is an API?
Application programming interfaces hide complexity from developers, extend systems to partners, organize code, and make components reusable

Twitter API is a web based JSON API. The Java API is a library of software component available to anyone who installs the Java API.

When i back a cake i can abstract actions from making the dough with a baking mix, put it in the oven, making the glace.

API: a specification of possible interaction with SW component that defines what and how this interaction can occur

Twitter APIs are web based APIs to interact over the internet with services hosted by twitter while Java APIs are SW components ready to facilitate java programming

1) What is an API?

API is an interface available for the system user to interact with it.
In case of a web back end it is a set of HTTP request endpoints supported by the software along with the description of their input and output parameters.

Java API describes a standard library of the programming language while Twitter API describes a RESTful web service. Another difference is the system and the domain behind these two APIs. No internet is required to use java language API as long as you have a JRE package installed on your computer.

Paying with a credit card in a supermarket.
take the goods to buy ==> scan them at the cashier’s ==> put the card close to the terminal to make a payment.

Behind the scenes complex processing takes place. My purchase approval travels via the wires to the bank data centers, gets processed by the bank software ledger and the money is subtracted from my account and added to the shop’s account. Actually, crypto-currencies and smart contracts are here to automate such processes in future.

[quote=“ivan, post:1, topic:6381”]
1) What is an API?
Application Programming Interface. A specification of possible interactions with a software component.
Java is compressed for programmers to use offline and Twitter’s API is web-based access only.
Putting my keys in the same place every day. One less thought…only muscle memory.