What is an API? Reading Assignment

1) What is an API?
An API, or Application Programming Interface, is basically a code that performs a specified task without the need of writing the code from scratch. The API is the “what” and “how” of software.

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
Java API is out-of-the-box and is interacted with directly on the user’s device. Twitter API, on the other hand, is a web-based API that uses HTTP requests and returns the information in an easy to use format (JSON).

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
A simple example of an abstraction is using pay-pass on your credit card. All you have to do is touch your credit card to the machine and VOILA!, you get your coffee and Starbucks is paid. We don’t think about the laundry-list of activity that has to occur for that payment to be made. If I had to go to the bank, check the fund balance on my account, ensure I have enough credit-card room, walk back to Starbucks with a signed letter saying I have enough credit to pay for my coffee… I’d just make a coffee at home. :slight_smile:

1. APplication Interface. It represents a set of routines or protocols that make developers/programmers life easier.
  2. It is used to interact with any local JVM in a generic/common way where as Twitter API is specific and interacts only with twitter and is interacted via WWW.
  3. I decide to eat pasta so I can prepare pasta myself or I can go to restaurant and order pasta. By going to a restaurant I have abstracted “eat pasta” process in other words I have outsourced the task of preparing pasta. Very simply put I admit.

What is an API?

An API is a specification of possible interactions with a software component

In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?

The Twitter API is a web-based JSON API that allows developers to programmatically interact with Twitter data. Unlike the Java API, which is included in the Java Development Kit, the Twitter API is a web-based API.

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.

API: Application programming interface. An API is a specification of possible interactions with a software.

Java API is a library of software components that are available to you if you have the java Development Kit installed. It runs offline in oppsition to Twitter APIwhich is web based. If developers want to interact with the Twitter API they need to send a HTTP request, just like a web browser does.

Abstraction is making coffee. I go to the machine and press a button. It grinds the coffee beans, heats the water and so on.

1) What is an API? an Application Programming Interface is A specification of possible interactions with a software component it includes information and how to use the information to preform one or more tasks

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs? the Java API is a library of software components available to anyone who installs Java on their device the Twitter API is a web based JSON API that allows developers to programmatically interact with Twiter data unlike the Java API the Twitter API can only be accessed by making requests over the internet.

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life. when setting a PVR recording for a TV program for example i want to record the full season of the walking dead i navigate to search by title enter the walking dead, select the time, channel, HD or SD
Select the following appropriate recording options
Start 1 min - 5 min early
Stop 1 min - 5 min late
Keep 'till space needed, until i delete, 2-4 days
Episode limit 1,3,5,10,20, unlimited
Accept First-run only, repeats
timeslots 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 9-10
Priority 1-125
cancel series
close
Then Vola! you never miss an episode of your favorite show

1. Application Programming Interface. It’s the ‘messenger’ that takes user’s request and tell the system (server) what they want to do, and takes response back to user.

2. Java API is a software component available ‘out of the box’ when you install the Java Development Kit that sits in your local machine. Twitter API is a web based JSON API which can only be accessed over the internet. When you’re offline, you can access Java API but not Twitter API.

3. A postal service. We just need to provide the post office what to post (letter, card, parcel), a recipient’s name & address, a return address, and conditions on how you want it to be delivered (standard delivery, express, registered post that requires signature, authority to leave parcel at door step etc). You don’t need to know how to execute the entire complicated workflow and logistic behind the scene (scan, sort, distribute, load on truck, plane, etc), you just pay and the postal company will do everything for you.

Q What is an API?
1 An API specifies interactions with software components. It’s the what and the how mechanisms of communication between servers and clients across the web and mobile applications. It’s fundamental base is a subset of components that aid software development which eases and hides the complexity of such a class functions.

Q In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
2 The main difference between these two is with Java, the API is a functional component within the JDK that developers can use when building software. A class. Similar to a file library. Software that allows other software to communicate with it within the Java Development Kit.
With for eg a Twitter API the communication is more specific in terms of what you can do with twitter such as search for someone via hashtags, geographic buttons, send buttons, likes etc. It is more of a direct interaction communication function for navigating around social media.

If you haven’t done yet, check out REST API’s for more clarification.

Q The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.

3 One example of a simple abstraction would be sending an email and getting a reply then acting upon that reply. Simply send a message in minutes by the click of a button. Receive the reply by the click of a button and act upon it

vs

Getting pen and paper, going to the shop to buy envelopes, spend half hour writing a letter, going to the post box, waiting days for a reply before acting upon it.
Q What is an API?
1 An API specifies interactions with software components. It’s the what and the how mechanisms of communication between servers and clients across the web and mobile applications. It’s fundamental base is a subset of components that aid software development which eases and hides the complexity of such a class functions.

Q In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
2 The main difference between these two is with Java, the API is a functional component within the JDK that developers can use when building software. A class. Similar to a file library. Software that allows other software to communicate with it within the Java Development Kit.
With for eg a Twitter API the communication is more specific in terms of what you can do with twitter such as search for someone via hashtags, geographic buttons, send buttons, likes etc. It is more of a direct interaction communication function for navigating around social media.

If you haven’t done yet, check out REST API’s for more clarification.

Q The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.

3 One example of a simple abstraction would be sending an email and getting a reply then acting upon that reply. Simply send a message in minutes by the click of a button. Receive the reply by the click of a button and act upon it

vs

Getting pen and paper, going to the shop to buy envelopes, spend half hour writing a letter, going to the post box, waiting days for a reply before acting upon it.

1) What is an API?
It’s a common interface used to simplify application programming. A library of pre- defined code which is adapted by the developer depending on what should be the outcome.**

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
Java API is a product from the JDK that interacts with different services/servers and application interfaces and databases that you might need while developing your product. Twitter API is a web based platform using data from Tweets and users in the Twitter ”database”.

Many things makes my life easier. for instance a password manager, my code based door lock as well as a QR code. These are ”abstractions” that I get in contact with daily. Even a Spotify list, specifically made for ’me’, is in a sense.**

1 Like

1) What is an API?
Application Programming Interface - sort of a communication bridge between predominantly web/mobile applications, resulting in appropriate and correct responses in the frontend
Java API - numerous commands one can use to retrieve data
Twitter API is web-based - comm. between frontend and backend

• things which are occurring in the backend so user does not need to do all the tasks manually one by one…
  1. What is an API?**
    It is a set of protocols that allows code to talk to interact between devices
  2. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
    Java API defines what you can do with a list
    Twitter has the search API, for interacting with search and trends, and REST API, for core data
  3. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
    Starting the car without a key
1 Like

1) What is an API?

This is a some sort of a software bridge between different systems in order for them to communicate effectively.

Java API comes with the JDK while Twitter API is web-based JSON API which was controlled by Twitter. They tell what data can be “exposed” to 3rd party apps.

Abstraction is making complex things seemed easy. Just like using a smartphone, engineers did complexity of the design and laying out plans on how to mass produce this products. And yet, it was easy for us to use it for daily use.

1. it’s the way programs can interact with each others
  2. Twitter API is a web-based API = allows developers to interact with Twitter data whereas Java API defines what you can do with a list.
  3. Long hold on the car key allows to close windows, roof and all doors simultaneously.

1) What is an API?
Application Programming Interfaces are specifications of possible interactions with a software component used by developers to make complex tasks more quick and easy.
JAVA API does not require internet. All you must do is load their developer kit. Twitter API does use the internet to send information.
3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life
I am an Electrician. The company I work for does very large commercial jobs. When planning the main power distribution of a job we look at a Single-Line Diagram to understand complex installations and break them down and visualize them in a more simple form.

1) What is an API?
An API(Application Programming Interface) is a term used to describe the way programs can interact with all others.
The Twitter API is a web-based API which must make requests over the internet in order to function.

Abstraction occurs when we order pre-made food. Each layer which goes into that process makes it easy for us to buy the final product.

1 Like
  1. What is an API?
    - A programming interface. It lists how to use methods that you can use to interact and get information from a specifik db.

2. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
    - The Java API is a predefined library of software components & Twitter API is based on JSON and you use HTTP to get data from the db.

3. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
    - My child in the bath just screaming “Mom, I need a towel” Suddenly the door opens and someone supplies a towel :wink:

1. What is an API?
    R: It’s a program that allows another programs “talk” with your aplication, it is an interfase to certain functions that you define an standarize

R: The Java API is part of the development kit, so the functions are used and provided by the client app and is used to facilitate the development, in the other side, the twitter api is in the server side and is used to ask for an operation on the server side.

R: Google calendar could be a good example of an API for the real life, I just program the reminders to pay the bills, go to the doctor, say happy birthday to my friends, etc.

1) What is an API?

Application Programming Interface’ a set of functions and procedures that allow the creation of applications which access the features or data of an operating system, application, or other service.

The Twitter API is a web-based JSON API that allows developers to programming to interact with Twitter data. Unlike a Java API, which is included in the Java Development Kit, the Twitter API is a web-based API. It must be accessed by making requests over the Internet to services that Twitter hosts www.infoworld.com

When I smash the “likes” on Ivan on Techs YouTube channel an algorithm deep within YouTubes API promotes better search and suggested videos in someone else’s YouTube feed, the more “likes” smashed !! the higher in someone elses suggested videos Ivans YouTube videos appear. You hear Ivan “Smash those likes” “Smashing Smash” LOL

1 Like

1) What is an API?
Application programming interface

Twitter is web based using JSON and Java API is running with a dev kit.

I believe if I am understanding abstractions correctly that blockfollio would be an abstraction running multiple exchange public api’s to consolidate portfolio data for its users.

1) What is an API? a specification of possible interactions with a software component

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs? Java API is included in the Java Development Kit and is the set of tasks that are possible, the Twitter API is a web-based API only, but also a set of tasks that can interact with

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life. A noise sensor hears my alarm at 6am, it tell the shower to turn on and my coffee pot to turn on. I now don’t have to do either, I can just walk into the shower and walk out in ten minutes and the coffee will be ready.

1) What is an API?
It is a set of clearly defined methods of communication among various components.

Java API is part of the development kit and the Twitter API is web based.

Hearing my wife saying that the garbage id full, I know what needs to be done.

1 Like