What is an API? Reading Assignment

Welcome to the discussion about this reading assignment.

Leave your answers to the questions below in this thread. If you have any questions or you want to discuss something connected to the assignment feel free to do it in this thread as well, but please everything to the topic.

1) What is an API?
2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.

18 Likes

1) What is an API?
An API is a premade set of rules that takes away the complexity of having to manage and undertake each task manually.

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?

Java API uses out predefined commands that a user can select, whereas Twitter is Web based using JSON, an issuing http command that brings back results as script (ā€¦ I think)

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.

I wake up in the morning. Within 5 minutes a cup of tea arrives next to my bed. Just the act of opening my eyes has triggered my girlfriend to make me a cup of tea. I am then ready for my day ahead. Thatā€™s abstraction :wink:

23 Likes
  1. An API is an application of ā€œpre loaded code and instructionsā€ that helps programmers to construct a software and the client to communicate with the server.
  2. Java API is ā€œgeneric/commonā€ while Twitter API is ā€œspecificā€ (interact only with Twitter). Twitter is web based and is a REST API>
  3. My example of API is this: every day I like to drink hot chocolate or make Mug cakes in microwaves ā€¦as different ingredients are required and each one with specific weights, I prepare a mix of all ingredients for all the month so I donā€™t need to repeat every day the same procedure (to take different items and weight each one of them). In this way I save time and I have my API drink!!! Chocolate Api is specific as TWITTER API, but if I keep out chocolate powder from the mix, I can have a mix of powders that I can use for different recipes as JAVA API.:smiley::smiley::smiley:
10 Likes
  1. An API or Application Programming Interface is a set of rules that allows one set of code or an application to interact with another set of code or application. It is a bridge between two applications. For example, it could be the send and request code that requests weather data from a server and delivers it to an application like a Safari browser.

2. Java API are rules for code interaction within the Java program environment. Twitter API are rules for code interaction which are sent over the WEB between a client and a server.

3. Make pasta sauce abstraction. The abstraction of API tells you how to make the sauce from scratch. Cut onions and carrots and sautƩ in oil, then add the spices and tomatoes, cook for many hours and season with salt and pepper and so on.

8 Likes

What is an API? - Reading Assignment

What is an API?

It is the abbreviation for ā€˜Application Programming Interfaceā€™. They hide complexity from developers, extend systems to partners, organize code and make components reusable.

API is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. Basically, an API specifies how software components should interact. Additionally, APIs are used when programming graphical user interface (GUI) components. A good API makes it easier to develop a program by providing all the building blocks. A programmer then puts the blocks together. (www.webopedia.com )

In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIā€™s?

Java API

A list of all classes that are part of the Java development kit (JDK). It includes all Java packages, classes, and interfaces, along with their methods, fields, and constructors. Similar to a user interface, which facilitates interaction between humans and computers. These prewritten classes provide a tremendous amount of functionality to a programmer.

Twitter API

Twitter offers two APIs. The REST API allows developers to access core Twitter data and the Search API provides methods for developers to interact with Twitter Search and trends data.

The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.

A Bank ATM. We can deposit cash and checks, withdraw cash, request a statement, transfer money and purchase stamps without concerning ourselves with the processes behind the scenes.

5 Likes

1) What is an API?
Set of rules that allow one set of code to interact with with another set.
-Java API defines what you can do with a list
-Twitter has the search API, for interacting with search and trends, and REST API, for core data
Going to a restaurant or any business and getting a service.

2 Likes

1) What is an API? The link between the front end and the back ends of the system, An interface designed to ensure the user/application gets what is needed from the server.

2) In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs? The Twitter API is Json based using HTTP like interrogation while the Java API makes use of libraries or lists to deliver the info from the server.

3) The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life. I donā€™t have to put my key in the car door any more I just press a button and an RF signal unlocks the door electronically from this signal which is coded to my car only,

1. What is an API?

An API allows for interaction between front end clients and back end servers and simplifies this interaction.

1. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?

The Java API is library of components that are installed with the Java Development Kit and provide a more simplified way of programming regular tasks. However, the Twitter API allows for the developers to interact with the Twitter data provided over the internet.

1. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.

When i go to the supermarket and buy a ready made meal. This is a form of abstraction as it enables me to avoid buying all the separate ingredients, measuring and cooking those same ingredients. Thereby simplifying the process.

1 Like

1. What is an API?
For application programming interface, is a specification of possible interactions with a software component and helps to organize code.
2. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
Java API is a library of software components on the other hand, Twitter API is a web-based JSON API.
3. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction form your daily life.
For example I have to turn the lights on/off wherever I am. I could have an API in my phone that does that when I smash a button, so that button is the abstraction of a switch and hides from me the whole communication process needed to turn the lights on/off remotely.

1 Like
  1. It is a simplified set of code rules that allows the front end communicate with the back end or one set of commands that can make two different languages interfaces with each-other.
  2. Java API is more a set of rules (manual) that allows you to transcribe code to work with Java while Twitter API is a a set of rules on how to interact with the twitter database from outsider twitters platform.
  3. Wen you buy 1 Bitcoin - the common human does not have to understand that some miners in China fought for the next block to be added to Bitcoin block-chain by throwing allot of computational power in order to solve a algorithmic equation that proves the requesters address now has that 1 Bitcoin assigned to him and the transaction is valid - All he has to know that he is the unique owner of 1 Bitcoin
3 Likes

1) What is an API?
Allows the access of data from a server or client to work with another component.

Java API is a predetermined code already included in the Java Development Kit.
Twitter API returns data to the the requesting client, by making requests over the Internet to the Twitter server.

I use YouTube a lot for my learning.
Every click of the Like button sets off a chain of actions. The counter on the video increases which increases the interaction level. This in turn increases the chances for the video to be seen as it is liked. Because the database sees that it is being watched it will now include it in 100s of other lists. Which in turn helps the video to gain ad revenue. Which in turn includes the video now in different Advert playlists. Eventually calculating the amount of dollars the creator has made through 1000s of APIs. All with the help of one Like!

2 Likes

1) What is an API?
Its a protocol, client connect -> server to request/import data.

Java API is like a framework, it has predetermined code included in the JDK.
Twitter API is a REST API, were the user can access specific data from a server.

When my kids wake up i know immediately what has to be done.

1 Like

I think this answer from JDC says it all. No need to add anything else. I would like to just copy -paste it, as my own response

Didier

API- it stands for application interface-. It permits the interface between 2 different applications, and gives the protocol for them to interact. I can imagine for example that on a website, where you see the address and directions to a store or restaurant, you are in fact interacting with a google maps API.

The difference between the Twitter and Java api that Twitter are rules are HTTP like interaction, you see the result directly in your web browser. Where as the Java api makes use of librairies to send data to a server.

1. Acronym for Application Programming Interface, API is a specification of possible interactions with a software component. Often times, it can refer to both the specification of the interactions and to the actual software component you interact with.
  2. The main difference between Java API and Twitter API is that the former is available out of the box after installing the Java Development Kit. Twitter API is web-based and thus could be accessed by making requests over the Internet.
  3. There are things in which we normally donā€™t need to know the complexity of the built or full mechanism behind, just to be able to use. An example is the use of a projector for presentations. The minimum information is knowing how to turn it on and connect oneā€™s computer via a cable. The projector will do its job in displaying whatā€™s in your computerā€™s screen to another surface.
1 Like

Answer the questions below in your own words:

1. What is an API?
    API, or Application Program Interface, is a way for programs and computers to exchange data. The text indicates ā€œa specification of possible interactions with a software componentā€.

2. In the article the author compares Java API to Twitter API. What is the main difference between these two APIs?
    The Java api is a general library of functions which can call a variety of other programs and functions for progrtams running the java JDK. The twitter api, allows any client specifically to post tweets or interact with any web-based JSON application.

3. The section in the article about abstraction is important, try to understand it and write down an abstraction from your daily life.
    An API hides implementation complexity. For example, I abstract my commute, blissfully getting in the car and spinning off. I am not concerned with details of the variable rate of fuel injection to maintain certain chemical explosions which drive steel pistons and convert mechanical energy into specific forms turning tires only a meter or two away from my chest as I listen to some music.

1. APIā€™s are a set of communication parameters by which a program is accessible to the outside world for interaction.
  2. The main difference between the Java and Twitter APIā€™s is the Twitter API is a web based communication protocol and is hosted by Twitter directly.
  3. Daily life abstraction - A multi-tool. These tools would otherwise likely be separate and difficult to find, take up a lot of space, be disorganized or misplaced. The improvement saves time and increases productivity by reducing tasks.

1) What is an API?
An Application Programming Interface - a method of sharing information between computers or programs, with well defined rules for interactions between the two.

The Java API is used to interact locally within the Java JDK. The Twitter API is used to interact with the Twitter application over the internet, and uses JSON.

a music playlist abstracts the decisions and routine involved in picking a new track everytime the last one ends.

1) What is an API?

An API is a set of pre-determined rules and standards for programming interactions between applications/programmes and often incorporating pre-written code libraries.

The Java API is a publicly available API that contains a large library of pre-defined code for easy use by developers. The Twitter API is a proprietary web based API that utilises HTTP requests and returns the results in JSON format for easy interpretation by the client.

When I tap my credit or debit card at a POS machine using payWave or PayPass, Itā€™s an abstraction that obscures multiple levels of complexity.

1) What is an API?
An API (Application Programming Interface), is a set of code allowing direct communication and interacting between data sets, applications and devices.

Java API: Is a library of software components enabling simplified programming tasks with Java.
Twitter API: Allows users to interact directly with the Twitter database to access requested information.

Using Uber eats is a typical example of everyday abstraction. I can order and receive a meal without being involved in the complicated interactions behind the scenes.