Assignment - Case Studies

My favorite FinTech is Revolut, but I also got very interested in Lendify which was covered in this course. Looking forward to dig deeper and hoping that they will expand very globally, at least in Nordic and Baltic countries.

1 Like

Many fintech companies operate in the background of banks with their services. Therefore, it is difficult to say which service is interesting and useful. Above all, it always depends on one’s own goals. Do I want to transfer millions or send 100 USD to Ghana as free of charge as possible?

GOOD and proven is for me:

WesternUnion
Paypal
and some Fintech banks

2 Likes

I’m going to share Fintech from my region, Japan.

One of my favorite Fintech is Paypay. Launched in end of 2018, it has over 38 million users.
Paypay is very similar to Alipay, all you need is a smartphone. You can pay with QR code or barcode at stores, share your money with friends and families, and get Paypay bonus for using Paypay. Also in the mobile app, you can order meals via uber eats, call a taxi, find charging spot, and so much more. Moreover, paypay isn’t just a payment app, there is online shopping (paypay mall) and flea market where users can buy and sell used items (paypay flea market).

More information can be found here:
https://paypay.ne.jp/

3 Likes

hey @thecil, I think there may be another issue in the courses -

the Bonus - Square video in the Case Studies section doesn’t play a video, there is only the image, at least on my end…

https://academy.ivanontech.com/products/fintech-101/categories/4193971/posts/14095526

Could you check this out?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes, is not an issue, is made it that way, if you check at the right, you should be able to download a PDF to read more about that Square Case.

Carlos Z

2 Likes

My favorite fintech is Zinobe because develops online financial products for the consumer and small business sectors and is one of the leaders here in Colombia and Latin America.
Partner with some of the most important institutions across in Latin America

2 Likes

It is absolutely Doconomy.

We are all aware of the climate change, and I think we all struggle with what we can do as individuals to decrease our CO2 footprint, except the obvious; drive less, fly less, etc. But that goes for companies as well. How do you know the CO2 footprint from the producer of the material to your shop?

What Doconomy offers is a solution to this, which will help both you as a consumer, and as a company, to know your CO2 footprint for every product you buy or sell. Now you can make conscious decisions and not only compare prices, but the real cost.

2 Likes

Credolab (www.credolb.com) offers a solution that calculates real-time credit scores based on evidence; shown in behavioral data from mobiles and web use. This previously untapped data means lenders can make decisions based on the way people behave in the modern world – not just how they look on paper.

There are a lot of differences amongst credit agencies that result in different risk classifications and scores. It seems very progressive to have a non intrusive way of gathering data in real time to evaluate the creditworthiness of a business and have a clear picture to make a decision. :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside:

1 Like

Paypal I my favorite fintech at the moment because I utilize them the most for my needs. That aside, I personally have had little to no issues through the lifespan of using it.

For Shoppers, Paypal uses the “Honey” app to find the best coupon codes for savings. You can link loyalty rewards with companies you like to buy from. Accepted almost anywhere online or in store and in over 200 countries worldwide with 25 currencies to use. Paypal offers credit cards and or online credit accounts.

I am an avid user of Paypal with buying and selling on eBay, and use it for purchases on Amazon, and Apple. Never had a security breach since 2006 (with my account). It is free to send money from my bank accounts to other Paypal accounts of move money between bank accounts and also send money instantly to my bank accounts with a small fee.

Paypal does Crypto currencies which is limited now but is likely to grow over time. Paypal can also be used to withdrawal money from crypto exchanges to send to bank accounts for free. Very Nice!!

Paypal has (currently to writing this) a signup referral to earn $10 per person

Paypal has their own version of “Go Fund Me” to raise money for those who need it.

Paypal has their own Cash remittence call Xoom to send cash around the world.

Great Online wallet with fantastic services in my opinion.

1 Like

Not much choices in these regions except the big banks they have their apps. Currently using apps from public bank, maybank, cimb.
Also tried Hellogold a fintech app which helps to buy, invest in gold in small fraction for savings purposes. However to function is limited to buying gold and kept in their custody for monthly fees. You can opt to receive it in physical form
I am also using crypto.com which is good for buying cryptos. We can also earn small interest on the assets. Of course they also have cash back credit card which I have yet to receive. Crypto.com is a very user-friendly app.

1 Like

Brex is an interesting newer credit card company that started up in San Fransisco USA. What is so cool about them is they are designed specifically for tech and e-commerce companies and offer 10 to 20 x higher limits than the average card. They offer high rewards as well when you make purchases from certain tech services , subscriptions, and tech companies. A credit card whose sole purpose is giving credit to the tech industry with exclusive rewards! I have not seen an industry specific rewarding credit card with classified rewards to tech specific purchases. Only retail store, hotel and airline credit cards offering exclusive rewards either by shopping at their store or at a partnering company. This service will help grow the fintech space by offering above average credit limits and make start ups possible that may not have been able to due to lack of finance.

1 Like

FNB Namibias ewallet is very secure and robust because you can pay for almost anything here in Namibia

1 Like

My favourite fintech is LimePay, which is an innovative company in the Buy Now Pay Later payment space. Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL) is a method of payment in which the customer pays for goods and services in instalments, and the BNPL company pays the merchant the whole purchase price, minus a discount, upfront. Customers pay their instalments directly to the BNPL company. This is becoming an increasingly popular alternative to credit cards by millenials in particular. Unlike the more established BNPL companies which market themselves directly to customers, LimePay is B2B and allows merchants an individual “white label” approach to offering their own branded BNPL as a payment option to customers. This approach is proving popular with many merchants who dislike the fact that customers directed to the websites of the other companies are exposed to advertising by competing merchants who use the same BNPL solution.

LimePay, unlike other BNPL companies, provides a complete payment platform to its merchants, regardless of the payment method, be it BNPL, or upfront complete payment by a variety of means. It monetizes this by obtaining essentially wholesale rates on transaction fees and applying a small margin to the merchant.

It currently operates in Australia and has recently started to expand into the New Zealand market.

It it my favourite fintech in Australia because of its innovative approach and its philosophy of working diligently to stay ahead of the curve in this rapidly moving industry.

1 Like

Interesting idea! Didn’t hear about it before now. Thanks! :raised_hands:

Thanks Adam!

Yes, BNPL is a really interesting payments model. The first company to develop it in Australia was Afterpay who are now listed on the ASX with a valuation of about 20B. They are now expanding into other areas of banking. I happen to know a bit about LimePay because my son is involved in it!

Cheers

Phil

1 Like

love them or hate them, I think AfterPay has completely changed the game in the buy now pay later space. it just goes to show that people are wanting convenience and the feeling of something for nothing. Afterpay is now over $20b market cap and literally is just a simple way of buying something today but paying for it later, without interest and rather a small fee.

1 Like

My favorite fintech is TransferWise. Simple, good rates, good support, they really took the share of the market of the traditional banks. I will never come back the services of those banks if it’s already covered by TransferWise.

1 Like

My favorite fintech here in the UK is Celsius (https://celsius.network/). This is for a couple of reasons. The CEO Alex Mashinsky has a solid background in establishing startups which then went on to become very successful businesses over time.
Additionally, as is stated on their website:
Giving back is fundamental to how Celsius works. Up to 80% of our revenue is paid back to the community as weekly rewards on crypto.
This confirms to me, in my opinion, that establishing a profitable company is still possible without allowing greed to take advantage of your customer base.

1 Like

I do not have a fovourite Fintech tbh. But from the above case studies I like:

• what Anyfin is doing, helping people to pay less

• Celsius - I like Alex Mashinskys’ point of view: to onboard people to stables first & then into crypto & I think 9 % earning on stables / year is a very good return. Definetly to consider to park some gains in, as I spoke to some mates in Telegram that invest in crypto & use Celsius.

• I do have a favourite DeFi project that enables to pool it’s project token TWA on Uniswap, then to buy with TWA LP Balancer BPT / SPT token & farm more TWA with it (https://www.adventuretoken.com/). Here are enabled multiple ways of earning.

Although there are many projects ongoing in the Fintech space & I think the regulatory aspect is very important, I mostly see Fintech projects driven by PSD2 regulation are openning the old system. Controlling our finances, expenses… is important, although I think the most sustainable way of consumption for people is to buy what they need - for example clothes when they are worn. If we spend a lot of money on clothes we pollute more. So if possible it is better to buy less, if possible of more quality products that will last longer. It concerns clothing, but food as well. It is better to eat less & more quality / organic food that gives better energy to our bodies. Food that was processed less went through less industry procedures, so less electricity was consumed. If we eat healtier we will be less ill, so we will need less help from doctors. We will spend less for doctors & medicinals. We can have many apps helping us achive this but as we need our financial education we need awareness too.

I see the Fintech industry not really a competitor to DeFi, as DeFi projects are enabling multiple ways of earning & are bringing RWA (real world assets) to Ethereum. But it will take also time for people to understand as majority is ‘in financial educaion malnourished’ too.

1 Like

My favorite Fintech is N26.

Free baking account and debit card that can be used in European crypto exchanges. You can open it very easily even if you’re not located in Europe

1 Like