Truffle Introduction

@dan-i
In simpler words I want to explain my Problem.

How do i get Current message ; Hello again on my terminal , and as you would be knowing i have sudo npm -g [email protected] installed on my Mac ??

Thanks and Regards
Suveett Kalra

@dan-i @gabba @Taha @filip

I am using a Mac

when I use the following code in 2_Helloworld_deploy.js,

const Helloworld = artifacts.require("Helloworld");

module.exports = function (deployer, network, accounts) {
  deployer.deploy(Helloworld).then(function(instance){
    instance.setMessage("Hello again !", {value : 1000000, from : accounts[0]}).then(function(){
      instance.getMessage().then(function(message){
        console.log("Current Message :" +  message);
      });
    });
  });
};

I get the following error on the Terminal :point_down:

2_Helloworld_deploy.js

Deploying ‘Helloworld’

transaction hash: 0x9784d34942c6c5fabde8deb8247411c70918dd43102daea077c7feae60a5763d
Blocks: 0 Seconds: 0
contract address: 0xfd26e43567D35a13C16681782a1a7af5F39B90f8
block number: 4
block timestamp: 1608055948
account: 0x687f17fe288c4AD8Fa4A918239DaA75b79062B75
balance: 99.98284558
gas used: 297116 (0x4889c)
gas price: 20 gwei
value sent: 0 ETH
total cost: 0.00594232 ETH

⠋ Saving migration to chain.{ Error: Provided address “g” is invalid, the capitalization checksum test failed, or its an indrect IBAN address which can’t be converted.
at /Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/migrations/2_Helloworld_deploy.js:30:14
at /Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/packages/deployer/src/deferredchain.js:20:1
at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)
hijackedStack:
‘Error: Provided address “g” is invalid, the capitalization checksum test failed, or its an indrect IBAN address which can’t be converted.\n at inputAddressFormatter (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-core-helpers/src/formatters.js:475:1)\n at Method.inputTransactionFormatter (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-core-helpers/src/formatters.js:211:1)\n at /Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-eth/node_modules/web3-core-method/src/index.js:150:1\n at Array.map ()\n at Method.formatInput (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-eth/node_modules/web3-core-method/src/index.js:148:1)\n at Method.toPayload (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-eth/node_modules/web3-core-method/src/index.js:183:1)\n at Eth.send [as sendTransaction] (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-eth/node_modules/web3-core-method/src/index.js:617:1)\n at Object.sendTransaction (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/packages/contract/lib/execute.js:529:1)\n at execute.prepareCall.then (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/packages/contract/lib/execute.js:203:1)\n at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)’ }
{ Error: Provided address “g” is invalid, the capitalization checksum test failed, or its an indrect IBAN address which can’t be converted.
at /Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/migrations/2_Helloworld_deploy.js:30:14
at /Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/packages/deployer/src/deferredchain.js:20:1
hijackedStack:
‘Error: Provided address “g” is invalid, the capitalization checksum test failed, or its an indrect IBAN address which can’t be converted.\n at inputAddressFormatter (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-core-helpers/src/formatters.js:475:1)\n at Method.inputTransactionFormatter (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-core-helpers/src/formatters.js:211:1)\n at /Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-eth/node_modules/web3-core-method/src/index.js:150:1\n at Array.map ()\n at Method.formatInput (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-eth/node_modules/web3-core-method/src/index.js:148:1)\n at Method.toPayload (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-eth/node_modules/web3-core-method/src/index.js:183:1)\n at Eth.send [as sendTransaction] (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-eth/node_modules/web3-core-method/src/index.js:617:1)\n at Object.sendTransaction (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/packages/contract/lib/execute.js:529:1)\n at execute.prepareCall.then (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/packages/contract/lib/execute.js:203:1)\n at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)’ }

And when i use the Following code :point_down:

module.exports = function(deployer,accounts) {
    instance.setMessage("Hello Again!", {value: 1000000, from: accounts[0]}).then(function(){
      console.log("Set message");
    });

console.log("Current message: " + message);
    });
  });
};

I get the following error :point_down:
2_Helloworld_deploy.js

Deploying ‘Helloworld’

transaction hash: 0xbf2f8cce586204c5ee14cb23d78ea3025cff38c76abda228da5616c0e3a96c08
contract address: 0x8D6a4fB17B5D5813360eDFe4529D4F742F038050
block number: 5
block timestamp: 1608056385
balance: 99.97690326
gas used: 297116 (0x4889c)
total cost: 0.00594232 ETH

⠋ Saving migration to chain.{ Error: Provided address “g” is invalid, the capitalization checksum test failed, or its an indrect IBAN address which can’t be converted.
hijackedStack:
{ Error: Provided address “g” is invalid, the capitalization checksum test failed, or its an indrect IBAN address which can’t be converted.
hijackedStack:

Please help me, as I unable to carry on with the course.

**The command on the terminal i gave is **
./node_modules/.bin/truffle migrate

Thanks and Regards

Suveett Kalra

try the following :grinning:

1. Create an empty folder named 'Helloworld" in your desktop inside the documents folder ( similar to what @filip explained ) and now navigate into the folder using Terminal.

2. in the terminal type as below :grinning:
    npm init
    it will ask you some questions, just press enter to all of them.

3. Now check in the Helloworld folder, it would have created a package.json folder in it.

4. Now type in the Terminal :
    npm i truffle

5. Now type again in the terminal :
    ./node_modules/.bin/truffle init

6. Now you will have the following truffle folders in the Helloworld folder
    contracts/migrations/test

7. Now follow the videos of Filip and Create your Helloworld.sol file and the 2_Helloworld_deploy.js file in your atom text editor

8. Now type in the terminal :
    ./node_modules/.bin/truffle compile

and you are good to go… Hopefully you will not encounter any issues and it solves your problems. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you console.log accounts[0]?
Post a screenshot of the result

getting this error can anyone please help!!

@filip @thecil @ChrisPap

Hi @filip @gabba @dan-i

Can you tell me where i am going wrong because i am getting a VM error : revert

My code is as Below :point_down:

Helloworld.sol

pragma solidity 0.5.12;
contract Helloworld {
  string message = "Hello World !! ";
  function getMessage() public view returns(string memory) {
    return message;
  }
  function setMessage(string memory newMessage) public payable {
    require(msg.value >= 100 wei);
    message = newMessage;
  }
}

and my code in 2_Helloworld_deploy.js is as below :point_down:

module.exports = function(deployer,network,accounts) {
    instance.setMessage("Hello again !", { value : 1000000, from : accounts[0]}).then(function(){
      console.log("Success");
    }).catch(function(err){
      console.log("error : " + err);
    });

}).catch(function(err){
  console.log("Deploy failed : " + error);
  });
};

I am getting a VM error : revert

In my opinion, it should run fine because in Helloworld.sol file the i have the following condition

require(msg.value >= 100 wei);

and in my 2_Helloworld_deploy.js file the setMessage function provides 1000000 wei

instance.setMessage("Hello again !", { value : 1000000, from : accounts[0]}).then(function(){

Thanks and awaiting your answer because I am unable to understand whats going on here.

Regards

Suveett kalra
su.kal crypto

That does not seem to be a truffle project.
I suggest you to go through the Academy lessons and follow the steps, Filip explains them perfectly:
https://academy.ivanontech.com/products/ethereum-smart-contract-programming-201

Send the error message, just ‘revert’ is not enough for me to understand the issue.
A screenshot would be perfect.

Regards

Hi @dan-i congrats on BTC touching 23k
So you can see the entire Terminal code here:
**Initially I ran the migrate – reset and it ran successfully as below :point_down:, but later on running the console and running instance.setMessage(), it shows the VM error : revert… Have a look at the code below **

1_initial_migration.js

Replacing ‘Migrations’

transaction hash: 0xdcbff4db1b70d6c9a2a2378f78ffc284243809ecba2155351c069425fb65a3bc
contract address: 0x7cCfDbF540ab6C8480651E72AdAb36F6B3D113FD
block number: 26
block timestamp: 1608216380
balance: 99.943209099996
gas used: 221491 (0x36133)
total cost: 0.00442982 ETH

Saving migration to chain.
Saving artifacts

Total cost: 0.00442982 ETH

2_Helloworld_deploy.js

Replacing ‘Helloworld’

transaction hash: 0xc73bbe06bf55151af5cfbef4518b2037c8d18359d92aa8edbd6a88404f3d7eb0
contract address: 0x1B5AB7D95f9A4fBaEEC6d0A95C92b4F923C92476
block number: 28
block timestamp: 1608216380
balance: 99.936347939996
gas used: 301060 (0x49804)
total cost: 0.0060212 ETH

⠋ Saving migration to chain.Current Message :Hello again !
⠙ Saving migration to chain.Success

Saving migration to chain.
Saving artifacts

Total cost: 0.0060212 ETH

Summary

Total deployments: 2
Final cost: 0.01045102 ETH

aadyakalra@Aadyas-MacBook-Air Helloworld % ./node_modules/.bin/truffle console
truffle(ganache)> instance = await Helloworld.deployed()
undefined
truffle(ganache)> instance.getMessage()
‘Hello again !’
truffle(ganache)> instance.setMessage(“Hi Ivan , congrats on BTC touching 23k USD today !!”)
Thrown:
{ Error: Returned error: VM Exception while processing transaction: revert
at evalmachine.:0:10
at sigintHandlersWrap (vm.js:288:15)
at Script.runInContext (vm.js:130:14)
at runScript (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/packages/core/lib/console.js:251:1)
at Console.interpret (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/packages/core/lib/console.js:266:1)
at bound (domain.js:402:14)
at REPLServer.runBound [as eval] (domain.js:415:12)
at REPLServer.onLine (repl.js:642:10)
at REPLServer.emit (events.js:198:13)
at REPLServer.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:448:20)
at REPLServer.Interface._onLine (readline.js:308:10)
at REPLServer.Interface._line (readline.js:656:8)
at REPLServer.Interface._ttyWrite (readline.js:937:14)
at REPLServer.self._ttyWrite (repl.js:715:7)
at ReadStream.onkeypress (readline.js:184:10)
at ReadStream.emit (events.js:198:13)
at ReadStream.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:448:20)
at emitKeys (internal/readline.js:424:14)
at emitKeys.next ()
at ReadStream.onData (readline.js:1073:36)
at ReadStream.emit (events.js:198:13)
at ReadStream.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:448:20)
at addChunk (_stream_readable.js:288:12)
at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:269:11)
at ReadStream.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:224:10)
at TTY.onStreamRead [as onread] (internal/stream_base_commons.js:94:17)
hijackedStack:
‘Error: Returned error: VM Exception while processing transaction: revert\n at Object.ErrorResponse (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3-core-helpers/src/errors.js:29:1)\n at /Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3/node_modules/web3-core-requestmanager/src/index.js:170:1\n at /Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/packages/provider/wrapper.js:107:1\n at XMLHttpRequest.request.onreadystatechange (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/web3/node_modules/web3-providers-http/src/index.js:111:1)\n at XMLHttpRequestEventTarget.dispatchEvent (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/xhr2-cookies/dist/xml-http-request-event-target.js:34:1)\n at XMLHttpRequest._setReadyState (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/xhr2-cookies/dist/xml-http-request.js:208:1)\n at XMLHttpRequest._onHttpResponseEnd (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/xhr2-cookies/dist/xml-http-request.js:318:1)\n at IncomingMessage. (/Users/aadyakalra/Documents/Ethereum-course-advanced/Helloworld/node_modules/truffle/build/webpack:/node_modules/xhr2-cookies/dist/xml-http-request.js:289:47)\n at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:203:15)\n at IncomingMessage.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:466:23)\n at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1145:12)\n at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:63:19)’ }
truffle(ganache)>

So you can see in the previous file i sent that inspite of setMessage payable function having a “require of only 100 wei”, and in my 2_Helloworld_deploy.js file the value is {value : 1000000 wei}, its still showing VM error: revert

Kindly please help :pray:

regards

Su.kal crypto

The migration is correct and indeed completes until the end.
The error is in the command you are giving in the truffle console.
Here:

truffle(ganache)> instance.getMessage()
‘Hello again !’
truffle(ganache)> instance.setMessage(“Hi Ivan , congrats on BTC touching 23k USD today !!”)
Thrown:
{ Error: Returned error: VM Exception while processing transaction: revert

In your contract you’ve declared the function setMessage() as payable and you require that msg.value > 100 wei, but you are not sending eth.

Fix this one and follow the same you did in the migration:

instance.setMessage(“Hi Ivan , congrats on BTC touching 23k USD today !!”)

@dan-i But how to send the ETH in the contract ??

This is my below code in the 2_Helloworld_deploy.js

module.exports = function(deployer,network,accounts) {
      console.log("Success");
      }).catch(function(err){
      console.log("error : " + err);
    });
      console.log("Current Message :" + message);
    });
    }).catch(function(err){
  console.log("Deploy failed : " + error);
  });
};

Please tell me where I am going wrong ?
thanks and regards
su.kal Crypto

Hi @dan-i awaiting your kind revert

You need to use the same command that you already use in your migration.
instance.setMessage(“Hello again !”, { value : 1000000, from : accounts[0]})

Hi @filip

in this course, can I use Ganache 2.5.4, because I got error when I start the Ganache 2.1.1

-Paul Kwok

You can surely use an updated version of ganache, you should be able to proceed.
Keep me posted.

@filip first of all thank you for including us in space! Big shout out!
And like everyone here, I have truble when trying to initialize truffle:

PS D:> cd Helloworld/
PS D:\Helloworld> truffle init
truffle : File C:\Users\MAŠA I SOFIJA\AppData\Roaming\npm\truffle.ps1 cannot be loaded because running scripts is disab
led on this system. For more information, see about_Execution_Policies at https:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170
At line:1 char:1

• truffle init
  •   + CategoryInfo          : SecurityError: (:) [], PSSecurityException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccess

PS D:\Helloworld>

What do you recommend me to do?

I’m running into an issue where my console.log command isn’t printing anything onto the screen. Within powershell I can run getMessage() and see that the message has been updated by the deploy.js file. This is my code

const HelloWorld = artifacts.require("HelloWorld");

module.exports = function (deployer) {
  deployer.deploy(HelloWorld).then(function(instance){
    instance.setMessage("Hello Again!").then(function(){
        console.log("Current message: " + message);
      });
    });
  });
};

Open a new powershell window as administrator and run this command

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass

Now run the init again

2 Likes

@filip @dan-i

I have a question when I apply the following function. the account balance of the player address is not increase by the msg.value? I can see the log shows the value I define in msg.value.

// withdraw fund from contract for player
function withdrawFromPlayer() public payable {
    require(playerBalance[msg.sender] >= msg.value);
    require(msg.value > 0);
    uint playerbalance;
    uint toTransfer = msg.value;
    playerBalance[msg.sender] -= toTransfer;
    playerbalance = playerBalance[msg.sender];
    msg.sender.transfer(toTransfer);
    emit WithdrawFromPlayer(msg.sender, toTransfer, playerbalance);
}

for example, I deposite 3 Ether to playerBalance[msg.sender], then I withdraw 1 Ether from playerBalance[msg.sender], the balance of playerBalance[msg.sender] is 2. but I don’t see +1 ether from player’s account.

@Bobcat It works now, bless you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes