Ripple Wallet Activaton Fee?

So I set up my ledger nano S to take Ripple. I have a small amount of ripple that has been sitting on an exchange for months. I’ve never set up a Ripple wallet or “Account” before.

When I tried sending funds to the wallet, it didn’t work. (I always send a small test amount the first time, so I didn’t really lose anything). I look into it a block explorer and it doesn’t have an record of my address. I look into it a little further and I find a website claiming that I can activate my address or account by paying 0.0021 Bitcoin. Is this for real or is it just some scam website? I’m surprised that I would need to pay an activation fee for a wallet.

@Brent, it takes 20 xrp as payment (this is a built in antispam measure by design) to establish an xrp account. This amount cannot be spent, however Ripple has lowered this threshold number in the past and I believe they will again in the future. It is possible (I saw it mentioned but I have no proof) that if they do this you will reclaim some of those 20 xrp.

It’s good that you get your xrp in a safe place. Here’s a bright talk presentation I just stumbled across this week. Ripple is working with businesses partnerships as well and they are further along than I thought. Snake in the grass business sense - Mums the word, especially by dissasociation of the brand, this is fun to witness.

https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/15381/262389/how-blockchain-is-revolutionising-financial-services

4 Likes