Private Blockchain vs Distributed computing?

Hi, I’ve a question about the difference between them, because on the course it says that basically the difference is that even both are distributed, blockchain is decentralizated while distributed computing is not. But we have also private blockchains that are not decentralizated, so my question is, what is the difference between private blockchain and distributed copmuting?

1 Like

Here is an image I found that visualizes centralization, decentralization and distribution. Centralization is pretty self explanitory. The difference between decentralization and distribution, to the best of my understanding, is that decentralization has ‘nodes’, as these nodes come to consensus, there you have the final on whatever issue (whether it be blockchain or whatever). Distributed is best thought of, in my mind, like torrents. You have a bunch of individuals sharing aspects of a whole, and although one person might not be directly connected to another, through the whole of the network everyone is connected. Take out one dot, and it doesn’t affect the whole. Decentralization is similar, take out one node, and it won’t critically disrupt it’s function. I hope this helps clear things up for you.

1 Like

Great example I will reference this in the future.

There was a debate about this picture that C should be Distributed and D should be decentralized.

In Bitcoin, each node has a list of peers that you can choose to propagate data (like gossip)
So each node should be connected to at least 1 other nodes. (usually 6 or more) I have around 10 peers on my bitcoin full node.
While in this picture (B), you see that many nodes are like a hub to connect to other hubs. Wich seems more distributed instead of decentralized.