People Skills Lecture

Welcome to the discussion about this lecture. Here you can ask questions or post feedback about this specific lecture.

3 Likes

Very interesting and helpful post. If you need a blockchain project manager in Boston, I’m here for you :slight_smile:

Finally I got a section there I feel very comfortable, project magement! I’m certified PMP since 1998 which I’m proud of. Pretty hard precertification process every third year.

I think you can summarize project management to be 80 % communication which is pretty much what you are talking about as well.

Please let me contribute in your academy education in the field of project management knowledge areas:

• Project Integration Management
  • Project Scope Management
  • Project Time Management
  • Project Cost Management
  • Project Quality Management
  • Project Human Resource Management
  • Project Communications Management
5 Likes

I think the hardest of the mentioned things in the lesson is to delegate. Futher than the reasons Ivan mentioned, you have to fight against yourself to delegate. You don’t want to act to hired people as they were slaves, but also you cannot expect they knew what to do without your arrangments. If you know them well maybe you fear to act as their boss. If you don’t know them well you cannot use at the best of their potential. Yes to delegate is really a hard matter.

4 Likes

Interesting concept and position to be at in order to help community experience something new and improve their lives. I have completed a course on project management a while ago and facilitate a community gathering to host our national team night out. Great experience to get a team of friends to work with and discuss cost and place to host the event and date. Leverage others time and delegate tasks so that free up time to work on other areas to help achieve the goal of making it happen and have fun while the budget is under control. :smiley:

2 Likes

I think it is important a hinted at in the course video that even though i project is successfully launched, the human resources do not end up just feeling used by the organisation but in addition to a sense of project achievement also a sense of appreciated contribution and cordiality. I have often noticed the last two components missing. This unfortunately tends to lead to companies not being able to retain quality talent e.g. because someone times wants to overly establish the “I am the boss” mentality where as if the boss merely added appropriate value he would be given acknowledgement while other are also acknowledged for their contributions.

2 Likes

Hello Ivan, a very interesting video. In my experience there are plenty of people in the space who say they are capable of doing the job, or are just delusional and just think they can do it, or think they can learn to do it as they go along.
I totally agree that verification is key.
I have had some good experiences and some not so good.
I joined the academy because I need to develop some projects.
So far, I have found the following issues in the space:

1. Developers who understand coding but don’t seem to be able to understand creative ideas - I realised that this is a big issue in the world of IT!
  2. Creative ideas people who can’t communicate with developers!
  3. Delusional people who think they can develop a project but actually don’t know what they are doing - but guess what - they want you to pay a lot of money up front - seriously avoid these people, especially if they keep disappearing for a fortnight before they answer your communication!
  4. People who post something totally unsuitable on your site such as a picture with a strong political message (likely to cause all sorts of problems) on a site that is intended for selling kiddies toys and will be looked at by their parents - yes, unbelievably this did happen!
    Yes, fire them - don’t let them waste your time and energy or money - life is too short! plenty of good people who are very capable, so cut the fat and get rid of the time-wasters.
4 Likes

Hello Ivan,
This section on opportunities and tools is very interesting, especially the part where you say that your employees need to feel that they are being offered growth and opportunities. You say that your employees need to feel that they have so many opportunities that it’s mind blowing, and also it’s important that they feel great about the opportunities that they are getting, and that they are gaining a lot by working for the company, then they will stay and do great work, and be proud of what they do.
Bear in mind that just paying them a lot of money doesn’t make employees happy, they need to feel that the company has a phenomenal reputation so that they feel proud to be working on the project, and they feel the benefits - in all, this is about branding with a capital B, moreover, this model can be applied to almost any project, whether it is a business, a charitable organisation or an educational platform - It is key to understand what your individual employees are striving for and what their goals are in life. Very nice way to think about it. :-))

3 Likes

yes, delegation is a very challenging thing to learn as a business owner.
as my father used to say: “hire people to do the job at least to 70% of the way you would do it. The other 30% you can add after they’ve done their part, or train them or someone else to do that extra 30%.”

4 Likes

Wise words derived from experience. Lessons learned. Well said! :+1:

1 Like

Hi,

Here I want to contribute with my knowledge and experience of managing people for more than 10 years in various big companys.

In my experience there is no perfect team and trying to create one will just drain your energy as a leader, try instead to create a team that can cooperate with each other and can suport even the team member that needs the most suport. Of course there are instances when you need to fire someone but this should be the absolute last resort as this also destabalises the group dynamics. FIRO is a great model which would be good to read up on. The roleseeking part of a group takes time to overcome and must be respected and handled with care.

You as a leader should be aware that the biggest motivation for most people is not money, in fact it is the feeling of being needed. Im needed in this group, I belong to this group, my work mathers, im having fun and so on.

If you can deliver feedback by giving it with empathy and with your hole heart then even giving the message that some work was not good or that the person has the wrong focus can become fun for both parties. I have fired people without any bad feelings and we are still friends to this day. Even in that process you can help people figure out that it is just the wrong place for them, They are needed somewere else. Also a team needs to have a confident leader that knows how to have fun even in the most serious situations.

Also new people are still new to the job even though they might be senior in their field remember that. If you introduce the work in a good way for them then the senior person will probably learn the job much faster and also they might once they grasp everything even start seeing ways to improve the buisness but it takes time and most senior people does not need control, absolutely not. Dont be overly controlling because it demotivates people. Work on letting them be more creative.

People can of course leave, even when they see good opportunities but people tend not to leave so easaly when they feel needed, appreciated and have good teammembers and managers around them.

@ivan I think it would be great to introduce the FIRO model in this course in regards to people skills and also the importance of having weekly intraction with every teammember.

Link to Info about Firo model. (I just googled it)

https://mysourcingleader.com/category/group-leadership/firo-stages-of-team-development/

1 Like

I ageee that it goes against what you feel is right but I have bin working as a manager for more than 10 years and I can say that most people want to get tasks delegated to them so that they feel important. You just need to balance that with helping them to prioritize and also to explain the importance of what they are doing.