Introducing Film to Blockchain

Hello everyone,

I’m not a frequent poster on the forum but I have been part of the Academy for several months now. I’m a filmmaker from Atlanta, GA USA and still a bit of a newb when it comes to blockchain. But I’m very excited about this new tech and all the implementations I’m beginning to see pop up across the world.

Like I said, I’m a filmmaker. I’m not a programmer or coder, but I have been taking the Academy so I’m starting to grasp some of this language. I know though that my heart is always going to be in creative. As much as I love the potential this technology has, my mind always reverts back to film.

This brings me to what I want to present to the incredible community. I see blockchain and especially defi (NFTs!!!) being incredible stepping stones for young, independent artists to be able to get their projects off the ground. I know firsthand how hard it is to raise funds as a nobody and trying to get your film seen as a nobody. I work in the industry in production offices and that is still not enough to obtain the connections some filmmakers need (especially the more experimental/fringe/niche artists). However, I see this new NFT market as a perfect use case for these artists to enter crypto and be able to “pitch” their projects by tokenization on a platform like Rarible.

I recently completed a very personal short film. I am very proud of it, but I don’t want to hold onto it and let it die on a shelf. What I am proposing is to use my short as a “test” for a new model of short film distribution via Rarible/OpenSea, etc.

Is anyone in the community familiar with NFT art distribution? I’m more concerned about copyright release. I want to make sure that my artwork is fully decentralized, so that once I tokenize the short film and release to the market, I am truly releasing ownership to the Buyer(s).

Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated as I am in my “Research Phase” and have not taken any action as of now.

Thank you!!

2 Likes

Are still exploring this possibility? Are you using film or digital media for production? Id like hear where you at with this currently, if your interested. Thank you

Javier