How do I burn an NFT I created without paying enormous gas fees?

I recently got into creating NFTs as an artist. My first experience was a little lackluster when I minted my first one on Mintable. There must have been an error with the file format I uploaded and I ended up minting an NFT with a corrupt file, which yielded no image. I have since moved over to Rarible where I found the user interface to be a bit more forgiving when uploading files, and have not had that problem since. However, now I am stuck with that first NFT which is useless, and which still shows up in my created works list. I tried to burn it to the blockchain via Metamask, but I am getting charged 1 whole ETH in gas fees! Something is off… does anyone know what is going on and how I can remedy this?

Send it to a Dead address see if thats cheaper or wait till gas prices get low. I mean you really have monitor those gas prices from now on, Actually no nft is useless.

1 Like

Thanks Javier, That’s what I tried to do. Sending to a dead address costs the same gas fees apparently. And please explain what you mean by no NFT is useless.

Hi FooX, you have to monitor the gas prices, get your self a gas app check on it, I found out that during easter sunday they were way low, you got keep an eye on it, you can set up alerts too.
The NFT is now a part of the ETH chain , I dont know how long youve had for. You can in turn use your NFT s as collateral and borrow against them, look up a site called Stater, I try to post a link for soon, check out what they are offering.

Yes, however, this one NFT does not have any file associated with it. It’s just a broken link. So it is in essence a useless piece of data on the blockchain.

Have you check it on etherscan?

Yes, and I can see the transaction of the minting there, but I have no idea what to do with it, nor do I fully understand what to do in Etherscan. (sorry for my delayed responses, as with my busy life schedule, I only log into this about once a week).