Homework on Security & Immutability - Questions

Homework on Security & Immutability - Questions

1. How does a decentralized network increase security?

2. Why is it dangerous to trust a central authority for security?

73 Likes
    nodes verify transactions and authenticate network.
    The central authority can pull your pants down at any given moment!!
    Hold on tight to yours and go decentralised!!
84 Likes

85 Likes
  1. No single point of failure. Including no single person or region can compromise the network.
  2. Weak to hacks see exchange hacks. Also trust in a individual whether malicious or coerced.
21 Likes

1- By making it decentralized in which there’s no center therefore it’s immune against hackers.

2- because a central authority can be hacked. and the author can manipulate it.

18 Likes

1.no one can claim false data or the data which is not there in blockchain
2.because the data can manipulated if centrak authority has control and can be easily hacked

8 Likes
  1. Decentralized network increases security because there is no central authority and it is trustless and verifiable. It is more secure because the transactions can only be added and not removed. Security is created collectively in the network.
  2. It is dangerous to trust a central authority because of corruption and risk of fraud and one person can have control over your data that can be used against you.
50 Likes
  1. A decentralized network force any attacker to take the control of at least 51% of the network which is a lot harder than 1 central entry
  2. Because some people, organizations, government… do not deserve trust and/or are easily hackable. A central authority means a central point which could be attacked with a dDos attack for instance
12 Likes

Welcome to the crypto community

6 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been “lurking in the dark” listening to Ivan for almost a year and signed up for the courses in March. I was
72% through Blockchain Fundamentals and just restarted the new course since it’s updated from his 2017 recording.

I’m getting through quickly until I get to where I left off.

9 Likes

I recommend you to get the unlimited access because all courses are very interesting and this is a really good community here.

You’re a smart person, you follow the good people.

Ivan and Filip are younger than us but they have a lot to teach us.

Good luck and do not give up, keep going you’re in the right place to learn good material.

14 Likes

How does a decentralized network increase security?
A decentralised network verifies any broadcast. For example a request to send bitcoin to another bitcoin public address will be verified by anonymous nodes on the network to reach a mathematical consensus before authorizing the request.

Why is it dangerous to trust a central authority for security?
It is dangerous to trust a central authority as their information is collated and distrusted by 1 or more silios. Whilst the database may be known the content may be anonymous to anyone not authorized on the network

9 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation, the courses are structured well and easy to understand. I do have the unlimited access, it’s just taking me a little longer to get through them because I have limited time since I run my own business. : )

6 Likes
    By having participants (computers, nodes) help secure the network by storing data across a network of computers therefore the task of compromising data becomes much more difficult for hackers. Trying to manipulate a balance or making a false transaction on the blockchain for example which is entirely decentralised can only be achieved if the majority (>50%) of the network is compromised.

Firstly it will be easier for hackers to breach a central authority because the server is owned by one entity. Secondly you are forced to trust a central authority with your data which doesn’t go hand in hand because a central authority is centralised and can change, edit, delete and manipulate the data or even sell it to third parties if they like.

13 Likes

Because no central authority and it is difficult to be hacked.

2 Likes
  1. A decentralized network disperses vulnerable attack vectors over hundreds of thousands of separated nodes that would have to be compromised nearly simultaneously in order to break the whole system. This is extremely difficult if not impossible for most hackers.

2. A central authority has all their data in one location or system. As a result, there is only one attack vector to breach in order to break the system. Nearly all central authorities have been breached at one point or another resulting in the dissemination and sale of personal data globally.

Any additions or corrections are much appreciated!

12 Likes

Security & Immutability

1. A decentralized network increases security by providing a Global Protocol that is protected by mathematics, with regards to Blockchain. This is something that cannot be modified or changed over time.

2. Conversely centralized networks are insecure. Data can be corrupted, changed, moved, lost over time from any number of actors good or bad. A decentralized network that is on the Blockchain, for example, cannot be tampered with in these ways.

12 Likes
    Transactions are cryptographic recorded in blocks in a ledger. The blocks are with cryptographic hashes related to each other as well. To change a transaction you have to change a chain of blocks which is impossible to realize.

You can me manipulated, they can be hacked, less privacy, and data can be used against you.

4 Likes

It does not require trust in a person or an organization, but trust in math principles and a protocol. As a trustless system, it increases the security, because it cannot be cheated or bribed and there is no point of failure.

1. Why is it dangerous to trust a central authority for security?

Because the central authority can fail us, it can behave in a bad way, be deceitful or it can be broken (for example a central server shutting down).

7 Likes

How does a decentralized network increase security?

Decentralized network made up by math or protocol, this is the law of universe, is much more reliable than any organization, company… Data will not disappear, exist forever.

Decentralized network is a global database, it is impossible to be hacked in a global level.

Why is it dangerous to trust a central authority for security?

Central authority can manipulate data, even sell or share them with cooperation organizations or companies, or shut down. Also they could be hacked easily.

5 Likes