FinTech - Celsius & FTX Lessons Learned 2022

what were the believes that make Ivan and other team members to trust in Celsius?
what were the blind spots about this token and investing model that perhaps now lenders would try to avoid into investing in a “ponzi scheme” and lack of known-regulations ?
https://www.diplomacy.edu/blog/collapse-of-crypto-company-celsius-network/

i think it is important to add this analysis into the fintech course
For analysis and review:
lesson: https://academy.moralis.io/lessons/celsius
Ivan on Tech interview of Celsius CEO, Alex Mashinsky :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G9wR2mu4x0

also
FTX lesson learn
don’t trust someone with a man using a last name that starts with Bank and ends with Fried: and maybe here is. where all debacle starded:
https://beincrypto.com/crypto-community-slams-ftx-ceo-proposed-centralized-industry-standards/

1 Like

I learned that putting money into high yield projects is less investing and more trading or gambling. People put money in so they can get yield, but also to borrow to stake more and get more yield. There’s no real growth in money. It’s not like people are borrowing to start a business that does well and creates more jobs and money. It’s just a bunch of degens trying to get rich quick.

I don’t know what beliefs made Ivan and team to trust in Celsius, but I can speculate. I think the belief that defi and blockchain technology is the future is what makes people trust. If you happen to meet someone at a conference and become friends with them, you have trust. Crypto is a small world. If someone has done something great (like SBF) people think everything you touch will be great and so you trust them. The the idea of being able to make easy money makes people turn a blind eye. People have broken down the model of DeFi schemes and have flat out said they are ponzi schemes, too good to be true, and we just choose to ignore it. It’s difficult to know what to believe is true or will play out in the future but I think we all need to make sure we are skeptical about every project and everybody, especially the ones people tout as geniuses.

Also, crypto will need to be regulated if it’s to gain legitimacy and if people in the space actually want it to grow. If you’ve been burned by Terra, Celsius, FTX, why in the world would you want anything to do with DeFi?

1 Like

Blockquote Also, crypto will need to be regulated if it’s to gain legitimacy and if people in the space actually want it to grow. If you’ve been burned by Terra, Celsius, FTX, why in the world would you want anything to do with DeFi?

completely agree, nevertheless one thing is DeFI and other fractional banking… taking ownership of coins to inflate valuation and raised capital .
there are many things to fix to avoid market manipulation from AMM or exchanges: “When a market maker and an exchange are owned by the same entity, it raises concerns that the market maker could see other investors’ trades before they are executed, allowing them to trade ahead of them at a profit.” Before his epic fall… there are some regulations but also development to avoid this.

To gain that support, a contract reviewed by NBC News shows, NuGenesis agreed to loan Alameda 200 million NuCoins for two years. At the end of the period, Alameda would either return the coins to NuGenesis or buy them from it at 38 cents each.
Faraj expected that Alameda would support the price of NuCoin in a narrow band, as its agreement with Alameda had stated. Instead, Faraj said, over a short period, Alameda dumped huge numbers of the coins onto the market at a depressed price. At the same time, Faraj said, when he tried to buy NuCoin to counter the selling pressure, Alameda prevented NuGenesis from doing so, effectively destroying confidence in the project. “With his exchanges, he prevented genuine buyers—including ourselves—from restoring the price,” Faraj said of Bankman-Fried. Faraj said Alameda later confirmed to NuGenesis that it had dumped 800,000 NuCoins on the market.

the only point here is to bring this topic into the business case for fintech and defi in the moralis academy. there is lot to learn from this; QE, greedy market makers and manipulation