Ethereum Introduction - Discussion

I use uniswap to trade with my metamask.

What do you think that you are missing?

If you have any more questions, please let us know so we can help you! :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

Hi Carlos,
Presently I am on central exchange and this is why I joined the Academy. I am working my way toward De-Fi course. I see the need to be exposed to this course as It contains much needed info .
I would like to know from start to finish how you would buy in de-fi arena safest
way possible. Thanks for any info ā€¦

Hello @raggedpants77, the DeFi 101 course will give you all the answers to those questions, I could explain myself but will take a long post and it will be basically what the course explain.

If you want to go safest into DeFi, I advice to stay with audited and with good liquidity projects, such as uniswap or compound, curveā€¦ there has been a hype with the Yield Farming this last weeks, might suggest to stay with those dapps that has been audited always, you could yield farm COMP token, CRV token, AMPL with the Geyser platformā€¦ try always to go with quality projects if you want to go safest.

To buy tokens I use uniswap has i mention it before, with my metamask or ledgerā€¦ then i go into the protocols of what i want to invest or stake or provide liquidityā€¦ all through my metamask or ledger.

Hope you find this useful.
If you have any more questions, please let us know so we can help you! :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

2 Likes

Carlosā€¦
That helps a lot and thank youā€¦Cliff

1 Like

Looking forward to learning all about Etherium.

1 Like

Hello guys,

I donā€™t really understand the statetment that ETH is less private than BTC (lecture ā€œUXOs vs Account Model - Privacy & Fungibilityā€). Is is argued that a BTC tx (unlike ETH tx) can have several outputs, meaning several recipient addresses and from the outside you can not see whether the receiver address belong to other people or the sender itself. I donā€™t understand why this is the reason that BTC is more private. In a ETH tx you can send from one address to another address, but from the outside you donā€™t see neither to whom these two addresses belong, the receiver address could belong to another person or to the sender itselfā€¦so for me it is that in both cases (BTC & ETH) you have the same privacy because you cannot see to whom the addresses belong to.

Thanks for clarification :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @OliverW, hope you are OK.

Now few words on your post:

You might wanna look into this last post I made explaining a little bit more about this.

Indeed, is true for both sides, now the difference on ā€œprivacyā€ is that UTXO is harder to identify all the participants in 1 transaction (since you have many outputs). But in Ethereum Account Model you only have 2 participants, sender and receiver, so yes, both are private since its hard to identify the participants, but if you have the proper tools to track a address, you can know his IP addressā€¦then his location, then start sniffing into the packages of the IP to get an idea of what kind of data traffic is it gettingā€¦ Governments will do this to catch bad guysā€¦

Hope this gives you a clear picture of the subject.

Carlos Z.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Carlos, your input is very valuable

1 Like

Hello all, Iā€™m not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I figured it being the ETH intro thread, I might as well give it a shot. Anyone know of what measures that are being implemented in the coding of Smart Contracts to help prevent the hacking of said contracts?

Hello @SaloBGoode, hope you are OK.

We have an entire course dedicated to what you are asking. Ethereum Smart Contract Security

Carlos Z.

2 Likes

@thecil Carlos, thank you, will check it out for sure!

yippeee will enjoy the read!

2 Likes

A Smart contract is put in the block, and cuz of that we canā€™t change it cuz blocks are connected together and then we need to back in time on a previous block where SC is put while new blocks continue to rise and we will never overtake these new blocks cuz difficulty (hashrate) will continue to rise?

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this article. https://hackernoon.com/getting-deep-into-ethereum-how-data-is-stored-in-ethereum-e3f669d96033
While having completed the Bitcoin and Blockchain 101 program I am familiar with how the bitcoin blockchain works by storing UXTOā€™s on the chain and having your wallet adding up all the UXTOā€™s and broadcasting any transactions. While I am sure there are many differences in the BTC and ETH blockchains. The above article really helped me understand that the Ethereum blockchain acts more like and account and has does all of the adding, subtracting and account balancing through its network. Likely making it a little easier for accounts to interact, especially with Smart Contracts which I believe is the whole crux of the Ethereum model and allows it to do so much more than just transactions. Ready to go deeper down the rabbit hole!

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

In the absence of questions before the first discussion, Iā€™ll ask my own question.

As a Masternode Consultant, I have valued Proof-of-Stake as an advanced, balanced class of consensus algorithms for many years, but with the imminent release of Ethereum 2.0, it seems that Proof-of-Stake is taking center stage.

I personally believe Ouroboros, the consensus protocol for Cardano to be the Gold Standard of PoS consensus protocols, https://cardano.org/ouroboros/

If and only If, Bitcoin, changes to a Proof-of-State consensus algorithm, otherwise it is not worth discussing, what, in your mind, would we be sacrificing should that occur?

Donā€™t say security. It is simply, demonstrably false.

There are some other possible responses related to what price a bad actor is willing to pay to challenge a networkā€™s consensus.

Bitcoin has proved that bad actors care more about their pocketbooks than their politics or fiscal ideology, but beyond that, ā€¦

ā€¦ if they cant break the consensus, they canā€™t break the consensus ā€¦ or they would have done so ā€¦

ā€¦If it costs them nothing or Hundreds of Billions of Dollars.

Iā€™m not interested in impossible responses.

1 Like

Hi Everybody! Iā€™m excited to continue my obsession with economics and technology. All I want for my life is continuous growth. Iā€™m glad I finally clicked on one of Ivanā€™s Ads on YouTube. Iā€™m an open book. Talk to me.

2 Likes

Hello,

I do not know about Ouroboros (yet), but do you know about the Pure PoS of Algorand? This one blew my mindā€¦ I will check Ouroboros to compare.

Fabien

1 Like

Yeah.

There are some amazing projects out there. Algorand is one of my favorites. Silvio Micali is top line talent in the field of cryptography. I made a full time income in 1982 programming an Apple ][ with 48k of RAM. Thatā€™s 48 thousand bytes. DUDE!!

Actually, I was a hot-shot programmer, my boss bought a ā€œlanguage cardā€ for me so I could do more sophisticated programs with Apple BASIC. It added 16k to my Apple ][s memory for a total of 64k.

My Samsung phone has 64 gigs ā€¦ Thatā€™s 64000000000 / 64000 = 1,000,000 = A million times more RAM.

We are at the level of the Apple ][ or IBM Windows 95 in the world of Blockchain today.

Iā€™ve seen it happen before, but this time ā€¦ we are programming ā€¦ MONEY.

I heard about a project today that is rocking my world ā€¦ https://solana.com/

Native scaling, no sharding or layer-two solutions to scale. Scales with Mooreā€™s Law.

Thereā€™s a lot of this genius shit out here in Blockchain world.

2 Likes

So, Where does Bitcoin fall?

this is quistion is a little bit off the topic but i was wondering if quantum computers would be bad or good for crypto. because offcourse you could make a better crypto but you can also use it easier to hack crypto right ? if someone has an idea please share it thanks a lot have a nice day !