Assignment - ERC721

1. What is the time complexity of creating new cats? (constant or linear w nr of cats).

2. What is the time complexity of the getAllCatsFor function? (constant or linear w nr of cats).

3. How could the storage design be changed to make the getAllCats function constant? Discuss benefits and drawbacks with your implementation.

4 Likes

@filip First I would like to mention that the initial source code is not linked for this assignment nor for the ERC20 assignment. I had to find it manually from Filips GitHub.
Perhaps you guys can put links to the code in connection with the assignment.

Now for this assignment.

What is the time complexity of creating new cats? (constant or linear w nr of cats)
The time complexity is constant O(1) based on the information I can gather from the contract.
This is based on the knowledge that you really have access to the id of the mom and dad.
Right now the function is only called once in the createKittyGen0 function, and the function is in itself private so the over all time complexity is dependent on the calling function.
But to run the createKitty function itself has the time complexity O(1)

What is the time complexity of the getAllCatsFor function? (constant or linear w nr of cats)
Based on the function displayed in the video the time complexity is linear time O(n), since we have to check all the positions in the array before we return.

How could the storage design be changed to make the getAllCats function constant?

I would do something like this:

pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

string public constant name = "TestKitties";
    string public constant symbol = "TK";

event Transfer(address indexed from, address indexed to, uint256 indexed tokenId);

event Birth(
        address owner,
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

mapping (uint256 => address) public kittyIndexToOwner;

// Remove the ownershipTokenCount mapping since we can calculate this number by the new mapping

// map the owners address to the ids of the cats that he owns
    mapping (address => uint256[]) ownersCats;

function balanceOf(address owner) external view returns (uint256 balance){
        return ownersCats[owner].length;
    }

function totalSupply() public view returns (uint) {
        return kitties.length;
    }

function ownerOf(uint256 _tokenId) external view returns (address)
    {
        return kittyIndexToOwner[_tokenId];
    }

function transfer(address _to, uint256 _tokenId) external
    {
        require(_to != address(0));
        require(_to != address(this));
        require(_owns(msg.sender, _tokenId));

_transfer(msg.sender, _to, _tokenId);
    }

// Part of the assignment
    function getAllCatsFor(address _owner) external view returns (uint[] memory cats){
        // Just return the cats in the mapping for the given caller
        cats = ownersCats[_owner];
    }

function createKittyGen0(uint256 _genes) public returns (uint256) {
        return _createKitty(0, 0, 0, _genes, msg.sender);
    }

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
    ) private returns (uint256) {
        Kitty memory _kitty = Kitty({
            genes: _genes,
            birthTime: uint64(block.timestamp),
            mumId: uint32(_mumId),
            dadId: uint32(_dadId),
            generation: uint16(_generation)
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

uint256 newKittenId = kitties.length - 1;

emit Birth(_owner, newKittenId, _mumId, _dadId, _genes);

_transfer(address(0), _owner, newKittenId);

return newKittenId;

}

function _transfer(address _from, address _to, uint256 _tokenId) internal {

// Map the cat to the new owner
        kittyIndexToOwner[_tokenId] = _to;

// Push the id of the cat to the list if ids for the user
        ownersCats[_to].push(_tokenId);

// Remove the id of the cat from the list of the precious order if it was not a newly generated cat
        if (_from != address(0)) {
            _removeOwnership(_from, _tokenId);
        }

// Emit the transfer event.
        emit Transfer(_from, _to, _tokenId);
    }

// Removes the id of the cat from the previous owners list
    function _removeOwnership(address _owner, uint256 _tokenId) internal {
        // Loop though the owned cats of the given address
        for (uint i = 0; i < ownersCats[_owner].length; i++) {

// If the cat was found
            if (ownersCats[_owner][i] == _tokenId) {
                // Replace the cat by copying the last cat to this position
                ownersCats[_owner][i] = ownersCats[_owner][ownersCats[_owner].length-1];

// Remove the duplicate
                ownersCats[_owner].pop();

// Return from the function to save gas since we have done all we should
                return;
            }
        }
    }

function _owns(address _claimant, uint256 _tokenId) internal view returns (bool) {
        return kittyIndexToOwner[_tokenId] == _claimant;
    }
}

So what are the pros and cons to this approach?

Pros
The getAllCatsFor function is now executed in constant time and saves a lot of gas.
Before we had to loop though the whole array that could grow a lot over time.
Although it is an external view function we don’t have to care about the gas except if the caller is another contract. So by optimizing the function we not only puts less load on the network but also ensures that those who will end up paying for the transaction will pay as little as possible.

Cons
We introduce another function with linear time although the size of it will be a lot smaller and we are only looking for one index instead of many, so if we are lucky or if the previous owner only has one cat the execution is now in constant time O(1), if not then, it will be somewhere in between O(1) to O(n).
If one wants to be really nerdy to improve this function, one can do some research if it is more probable for a previous owner to sell a newly acquired cat than a cat acquired long ago. In that case it might be beneficial to start looping from the end of the contract.

7 Likes

What is the time complexity of creating new cats? (constant or linear w nr of cats).

Creating a new KittenToken is of constant time complexity. It will always take the same procedure and therefore the same execution time, no matter how many kittens there already are in the kittiesArray.

What is the time complexity of the getAllCatsFor function? (constant or linear w nr of cats).

The getAllCats function is certainly linear, as we loop through the entire array to find all Tokens owned by a given address. The longer the array, the longer the execution time of this function.

Solution
We can minimize this execution time by implementing a mapping that points from the catOwners address to a uint array that stores the tokenIDs of the owned KittieTokens. Now, instead of looping through the entire Kitties array of the contract, we can access and return all KittieTokenIDs owned by a given address instantly. But, this solution comes with the cost of implementing an additional, linear, function that will allow us to remove a Token from the catsOwned array. This new function will have to be linear, as we have to loop through the catsOwned array to find the TokenID we want to delete.

ERC721KittiesAssignment .sol catsOwned mapping solution
pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

event Transfer(address indexed from, address indexed to, uint256 indexed tokenId);

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties; //Array to store all created kitties. Each Kittie is a unique Token. 

mapping (uint256 => address) public kittyIndexToOwner; //TokenID mapped to owner address

// ownershipTokenCount is replaced by new Array: catsOwned which will give tokencount by calling catsOwned.length
   // mapping (address => uint256) ownershipTokenCount;      //Mapps how many kitties an address owns.

mapping (address => uint256[]) catsOwned;

// return ownershipTokenCount[owner]; //replaced by:
       return catsOwned[owner].length;
    }

function totalSupply() public view returns (uint) { //returns how many kittieTokens exist
        return kitties.length;
    }

function ownerOf(uint256 _tokenId) external view returns (address) //Show who owns specific KittieToken
    {
    }

function transfer(address _to,uint256 _tokenId) external   //Transfers a kittieToken to another address -- see _transfer fuction!
    {

}

function getAllCatsFor(address _owner) external view returns (uint[] memory cats){ //Gets all Cats for given Address
     //New Solution:
     cats = catsOwned[_owner];

// OLD CODE:
     //   uint[] memory result = new uint[](ownershipTokenCount[_owner]);
     //   uint counter = 0;
     //   for (uint i = 0; i < kitties.length; i++) {
     //       if (kittyIndexToOwner[i] == _owner) {
     //           result[counter] = i;
     //           counter++;
     //       }
     //   }
     //   return result;
    }

}

function _createKitty(                                              //Creates new KittyToken
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        Kitty memory _kitty = Kitty({                                   //creating new Kitty struct!
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);                                           //pushing new struct to KittyTokensArray!

uint256 newKittenId = kitties.length - 1;                       //newKittenID is array.length -1 because of zero indexing!

_transfer(address(0), _owner, newKittenId);                     //transfers new kitten to it's owner

return newKittenId;

}

function _transfer(address _from, address _to, uint256 _tokenId) internal { //Actual transfer of KittieTokens
     //   ownershipTokenCount[_to]++;     //Replaced by catsOwned                //Increases ownershipCount of recipientr
        catsOwned[_to].push(_tokenId);    //New solution

kittyIndexToOwner[_tokenId] = _to;                                      //Sets recipient as new owner of Token

if (_from != address(0)) {                                              //If not sent from address 0, ( 0 is in case of newly created Token!!),  
            removeCat(_from, _tokenId);                                       //decrease ownershipCount of sender!
        }

}

function removeCat(address _owner, uint256 _tokenId) internal {

for (uint i = 0; i < catsOwned[_owner].length; i++){                             //look up every entry of catsOwned
            if (catsOwned[_owner][i] == _tokenId){                                       //If _tokenId is found
                catsOwned[_owner][i] = catsOwned[_owner][catsOwned[_owner].length - 1]; //replace requested TokenId with last position in Array! (catsOwned[_owner][catsOwned[_owner].length - 1])
                catsOwned[_owner].pop();                                                //remove last position in array!
            }
        }

}

function _owns(address _claimant, uint256 _tokenId) internal view returns (bool) { //returns true if given address owns Token with given ID.
  }

}

Resume:
This solution can help to reduce execution time, as looping through the ownedCats array, in case of deletion of a TokenID, will most certainly take less time than looping through the entire Kitties array of the contract just to return all TokenIDs owned. The downside of this solution is certainly that we have to bring in another linear function to remove a cat from the catsOwned array. Although it is possible that this newly created array grows to the same size as the Kittie Tokens Array, which stores all kittie structs ever created, it can be considered as rather unlikely. The big downside I see though is that the getAllCats function is view only, which is free. The createKitty and _transfer function though are costly functions that need gas. All in all, it is better to wait a little longer on a free function than to make a costly function more complex and more expensive.

5 Likes

1. What is the time complexity of creating new cats? (constant or linear w nr of cats).

The time complexity for creating new cats as far as I can tell is O(1) as the function does not involve computation using a dynamically-sized array.

2. What is the time complexity of the getAllCatsFor function? (constant or linear w nr of cats).

The time complexity for the getAllCatsFor function is linear based on the number of cats. This is because the function must interate through the entire kitties array and enumerate the number of cats owned by the caller.

3. How could the storage design be changed to make the getAllCats function constant? Discuss benefits and drawbacks with your implementation.

I would make the following changes in the design of this contract:

pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );
    struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

//removed ownershipTokenCount and replaced with ownerKitties mapping
    mapping (address => Kitty[]) public catsOwned

//Updated function to reference catsOwned array length
        return catsOwned[owner].length;
    }

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

function transfer(address _to,uint256 _tokenId) external
    {

}

function getAllCatsFor(address _owner) external view returns (uint[]){
        return catsOwned[owner];
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

return newKittenId;

}

//Updated function with catsOwned and delete functionality
            deleteCat(_from, _tokenId);             
        }
        catsOwned[_to].push(_tokenId);

}

function deleteCat(address _owner, uint256 _tokenId) internal {
        for (uint256 i = 0; i < catsOwned[_owner].length; i++){ //loop through the array of the owner
            if (catsOwned[_owner][i] == _tokenId){ //if the token id in the array matches the one provided
                catsOwned[_owner][i] = catsOwned[_owner][catsOwned[_owner].length - 1];// Set the array member at that index equal to the member of the array
                catsOwned[_owner].pop();// delete the last member of the array
            }
        }

function _owns(address _claimant, uint256 _tokenId) internal view returns (bool) {
  }

}

As cats are created, their ids are added to each owner’s cat array in the catsOwned mapping. This makes the getAllCatsFor function constant, because no matter how large each id array becomes, we are still performing the same operation, catsOwned[address], to retrieve all the cats that they own.

The benefit of this approach is it conserves gas when using the getAllCatsFor function, as you are no longer looping through and filtering the full cat array. A drawback for this solution is that we need to introduce another linear function that allows us to delete a cat from an owner’s array in the catsOwned mapping when we call the transfer function.

1 Like
  1. Time complexity to create new cats is constant - the kitty is added to the end of the kitties array

2. Time complexity of getAllCatsFor function is linear - the kitties array is iterated

3. Instead of iterating the kittie array a mapping could be used to map the owner address to an array of kitty tokenIds, this also replaces the need for the ownershipTokenCount mapping. However removing a kitty means removing the tokenId from the new mapped array, which is linear and ugly

pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

mapping (address => uint256[]) ownersKitties; 

return ownersKitties[owner].length;
    }

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

{

}

function getAllCatsFor(address _owner) external view returns (uint[] memory cats){
        return ownersKitties[_owner];
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

return newKittenId;

}

ownersKitties[_to].push(_tokenId);

uint len = ownersKitties[_from].length;
            for (uint i = 0; i < len; i++) {
                if (ownersKitties[_from][i] == _tokenId) {
                    ownersKitties[_from][i] = ownersKitties[_from][len - 1];
                    ownersKitties[_from].pop();
                    break;
                }
            }
        }

}

}
}
1 Like
  1. What is the time complexity of creating new cats? (constant or linear w nr of cats). — constant since it’s simply added

2. What is the time complexity of the getAllCatsFor function? (constant or linear w nr of cats). — linear since it grows with array size since function gets cat by looping through whole array

3. How could the storage design be changed to make the getAllCats function constant? Implement your idea. Then discuss the benefits and drawbacks of your implementation and post everything in the forum. — do this by making map of address to array of owned cat ids so the map as each address pointing to an array of owned cat ids, this way getAllCats can simply return the array based on the owner address in the map.

But this adds another linear function as we have to still loop through the array of owned cats of an address when we want to remove it when transferring ownership

pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

//mapping (address => uint256) ownershipTokenCount;

//map of address to array of cat ids owned
    mapping (address => uint[]) ownedKitties;

//return ownershipTokenCount[owner];
        return ownedKitties[owner].length;
    }

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

{

}

/*
        uint[] memory result = new uint[](ownershipTokenCount[_owner]);
        uint counter = 0;
        for (uint i = 0; i < kitties.length; i++) {
            if (kittyIndexToOwner[i] == _owner) {
                result[counter] = i;
                counter++;
            }
        } */

//simply return owned Kitties array of owner address
        return ownedKitties[_owner];
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

return newKittenId;

}

//ownershipTokenCount[_to]++;

ownedKitties[_to].push(_tokenId);   //add transfered kitty to mapped array of owner address

_removeKitty(_from, _tokenId);  //call function to remove kitty from previous owner 
        }

}

//function to remove kitty from previous owner array
    function _removeKitty(address _prevOwner, uint256 _tokenId) internal returns (bool) {
        for(uint i = 0; i < ownedKitties[_prevOwner].length; i++) {
            if(ownedKitties[_prevOwner][i] == _tokenId) {      //once id found,
                ownedKitties[_prevOwner][i] = ownedKitties[_prevOwner][ownedKitties[_prevOwner].length-1];  //overwrite id with last id in array
                ownedKitties[_prevOwner].pop();     //pop last position

return true;
            }
        }
    }

}

}
1 Like
  1. Constant
  2. Linear
  3. By adding a mapping of owner to a an array of cat’s they own. The tradeoff is more storage costs and also more complex handling of the transfer function. Benefit is a quick lookup of all cats of an owner.
pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

mapping (address => uint256) ownershipTokenCount;
    mapping (address => uint256[]) ownerKitties;

return ownershipTokenCount[owner];
    }

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

{

}

/*uint[] memory result = new uint[](ownershipTokenCount[_owner]);
        uint counter = 0;
                result[counter] = i;
                counter++;
            }
        }*/

return ownerKitties[_owner];
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

return newKittenId;

}

ownershipTokenCount[_to]++;

// add kitten to new owners kitty array
        ownerKitties[_to].push(_tokenId);

ownershipTokenCount[_from]--;
            // remove kitten from old owners kitty array
            _removeFromOwnwerKitties(_from, _tokenId);
        }

}

function _removeFromOwnwerKitties(address _owner, uint256 _tokenId) internal {

// find kitty index
        uint tokenlocation;
        for (uint i = 0; i < ownerKitties[_owner].length; i++) {
            if (ownerKitties[_owner][i] == _tokenId) {
                tokenlocation = i;
            }
        }

// Overwrite with final kitty in array
        ownerKitties[_owner][tokenlocation]=ownerKitties[_owner][ownerKitties[_owner].length-1];

// remove last element
        ownerKitties[_owner].pop();

}

}

}
1 Like

Constant, each new cat will be added to the end of kitties array.

Linear, the function have to iterate through the kitties to get all cats owned by a user.

Could be through a mapping from address to an integer array where we could storage the ID of the cats the user owns.

mapping (address => uint256[]) ownedKitties;

Then we could just return the array from the mapping like this:

function getAllCatsFor(address _owner) external view returns (uint[] memory){
        return ownedKitties[_owner];
    }

Carlos Z.

3 Likes
  1. The time required to create new cats is constant and independent of the amount of previously created cats as the operation of pushing to the array is always the same.

2. getAllCatsFor gets more expensive the more cats there are as the search in the array gets longer.

3. An array could be created for each owner containing the cats the owner has. These arrays could be mapped to the owner addresses and returned on demand without having to search through the cats of all the owners, which is the main benefit. As a drawback, we have more complexity, especially when the cat ownership needs to be transferred, which includes deleting from the previous owner’s array. Here my implementation:

pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

mapping (address => uint[]) ownershipDisplay; ////////////////////////////

}

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

{

}

uint[] memory result = ownershipDisplay[_owner];
        return result;
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

return newKittenId;

}

function _transfer(address _from, address _to, uint256 _tokenId) internal{

}

for (uint i = 0; i < ownershipDisplay[_from].length; i++) {
            if (ownershipDisplay[_from][i] == _tokenId) {
                uint temp = ownershipDisplay[_from][ownershipDisplay[_from].length - 1];
                ownershipDisplay[_from][i] = temp;
                ownershipDisplay[_from].pop;
            }
        }

ownershipDisplay[_to].push(_tokenId);

}

}

}
1 Like

Here are my answers for the ERC721 assignment:

Constant

Linear - time needed will grow as the array grows in size

3. How could the storage design be changed to make the getAllCats function constant? Implement your idea. Then discuss the benefits and drawbacks of your implementation and post everything in the forum.
Create a mapping from the owner’s address to an array with the owned cat’s IDs.
Return that array when the getAllCatsFor() function is called.

Pros: faster time to get all the cats of an owner, overall costs may be lower for iterating through a smaller owner’s array compared to iterate through the entire kitties[] array
Cons: more code and more complexity to the code, still have the costs of sorting through the array in the new function needed to remove the cat ID from an owner’s array

pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

// new mapping for getting owner's cats
    mapping (address => uint[]) ownersKitties; 

}

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

{

}

/*
        uint[] memory result = new uint[](ownershipTokenCount[_owner]);
        uint counter = 0;
                result[counter] = i;
                counter++;
            }
        }
        */

// returns array with all the owner's cats
        return ownersKitties[_owner];       
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

return newKittenId;

}

// calls function to remove ID from owner's array
            removeOwnersKitty(_from, _tokenId);
        }

// adds ID to owner's array
        ownersKitties[_to].push(_tokenId);

}

}

// function to remove ID from old owner's array
   function removeOwnersKitty(address _oldOwner, uint _tokenId) internal {
       for(uint i = 0; i < ownersKitties[_oldOwner].length; i++) {
           if(ownersKitties[_oldOwner][i] == _tokenId){
               ownersKitties[_oldOwner][i] = ownersKitties[_oldOwner][ownersKitties[_oldOwner].length - 1];
               ownersKitties[_oldOwner].pop();

}
       }
   }

}

1 Like
  1. It is Constant Time complexity, since only adding.

2. It is Linear, since there is an iteration through the array.

New Mapping for the owner’s address with an array of Cat’s ID.
Chaning getAAllCatsFor() to just return the array.

Pros: Cheaper and faster way to return what is expected on getAllCatsFor.
Cons: still had to use the array loop when transferring the cat.

pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

mapping (address => uint256[]) myCats;

return myCats[owner].length;
    }

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

{

}

return myCats[_owner];
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

return newKittenId;

}

myCats[_to].push(_tokenId);

_removeOwner(_from, _tokenId);
        }

}

}

function _removeOwner(address _owner, uint256 _tokenId) internal {
        for (uint i = 0; i < myCats[_owner].length; i++) {

if (myCats[_owner][i] == _tokenId) {

myCats[_owner][i] = myCats[_owner][myCats[_owner].length - 1];
                myCats[_owner].pop();

return;
            }
        }
    }

}
1 Like
  1. New kitty creation operation has constant complexity. We just create kitty instance and put it in the end of array
  2. getAllCatsFor has linear complexity. We iterate over entire kitty array in order to find all kitties with certain owner.
  3. We can use array of kitties ids in the ownershipTokenCount mapping.
    Here is my improved contract
pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

mapping (address => uint256[]) ownershipToken;

return ownershipToken[owner].length;
    }

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

{

}

return ownershipToken[_owner];
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

return newKittenId;

}

_grantOwnership(_to, _tokenId);

_rejectOwnership(_from, _tokenId);
        }

}

}

function _rejectOwnership(address _owner, uint256 _tokenId) internal {
        uint256 tokenPosition;
        for (uint i = 0; i < ownershipToken[_owner].length; i++) {
            if (ownershipToken[_owner][i] == _tokenId) {
                tokenPosition = i;
                break;
            }
        }
        ownershipToken[_owner][tokenPosition] = ownershipToken[_owner][ownershipToken[_owner].length-1];
        ownershipToken[_owner].pop();

}

function _grantOwnership(address _newOwner, uint256 _tokenId) internal {
        ownershipToken[_newOwner].push(_tokenId);
    }

}

As a main drawback we now have array operation in the transfer instead of GetAllCatsFor. I assume this is still improvement because theoretically users will call GetAllCatsFor much more frequently than transfer.

1 Like

What is the time complexity of creating new cats? (constant or linear w nr of cats).

Creating a new cat requires a constant number of operations that does not depend on the number of already existing cats.

What is the time complexity of the getAllCatsFor function? (constant or linear w nr of cats).

The time complexity getAllCatsFor is linear and has a direct linear relationship with the number of already existing cats since we have to go through the entire array to perform this task.

How could the storage design be changed to make the getAllCats function constant? Implement your idea. Then discuss the benefits and drawbacks of your implementation and post everything in the forum.

We could add another mapping that would map the owner address to a uint[] of all the cats owned by the owner. This would require more memory and be a little more expensive to call _createKitty and to call _transfer cats, but would give us a constant time complexity to access all cats owned by a specific address.

Click to View my Implementation
pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract KittyContract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

mapping (address => uint[]) public ownerToKitties;

}

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

{

}

return ownerToKitties[_owner];
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

return newKittenId;

}

// Adding new kitty to owner array of kitties
        ownerToKitties[_to].push(_tokenId);

removeKittyFromOwnedArray(_from, _tokenId);
        }

}

}

function removeKittyFromOwnedArray(address owner, uint kitty_id) internal {
        uint length = ownerToKitties[owner].length;
        for(uint i = 0; i < length; i++) {
            if(ownerToKitties[owner][i] == kitty_id) {
                ownerToKitties[owner][i] = ownerToKitties[owner][length-1];
                ownerToKitties[owner].pop();
                return;
            }
        }
    }
}
1 Like

A succicnt article on “Big O” order of operations and complexity theory..
I can’t help but associate that with the anime by the same name.
The crazier the associations the better for long-term memory’s sake.

Let’s begin by adding a mapping to an array of owned cats for every user. Now we’re burning stoarage to solve this processing speed problem. It’s getting more expensive, not less.

But that allows refactoring of the offending function to a trivial order zero (constant):
But the complexity just re-appears in the transfer function. But its cheaper here because its looping over only one user’s clowder, not the entire population. It’s still O(1), but the data set is drastically reduced. There needs to be a check against transfering from one user to the other if the giving user has the kitten in question in their clowder. By its position the require should be an invariant and use assert(), but I prefer to use require() and return a useful error message.

But in the end this solution charges all users the extra storage to solve a Big-O problem in a view function. Worse: it moves the Big-O problem to a function that charges gas. It’s nifty…but not sensible.

Here’s my final code listing to round out all the links in this group of my Solidity notes pictured above.

1 Like
  1. Constant for creating new cats.

2. Linear w nr of cats - As the kitties array grows, the number of times the for loop must run to getAllCats for a specific owner does with it.

3. My implementation uses 1 additional mapping and changes 1 of the mappings to map to an array of all the tokens owned by an address.
    This avoids the need to loop through all the kitties at any point.

I did some testing with my code, and found that my implementation returns duplicates in the getAllCatsForOwner response :frowning: i.e. for an address that owns kittie id 1 and 2 it returns 2,2,1,1. I don’t know why this is yet…

pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract CryptoContract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;
    //Mapping from Kittie ID to index in global array
    //Only needed if setting a token Id in mint/constructor function.
    //mapping(uint256 => uint256) internal kittyIdIndex;

//mapping from Kitty ID to its inde in the owner kitties list
    mapping(address => uint256[]) internal ownerToKittyIds;

//mapping from Kitty ID to its index in the Owner Kitties List.
    mapping (uint256 => uint256) public kittyIndexToOwnerIndex;

return ownerToKittyIds[owner].length;
    }

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

function transfer(address _to,uint256 _tokenId)  external
    {

}

function tokenOfOwnerByIndex(
        address _owner,
        uint256 _index
    ) external view returns (uint256){
        require(_index < ownerToKittyIds[_owner].length, "Invalid Index");
        return ownerToKittyIds[_owner][_index];
    }

function _getOwnerKittyCount(address _owner) internal virtual view returns (uint256){
        return ownerToKittyIds[_owner].length;
    }

uint[] memory result = new uint[](_getOwnerKittyCount(_owner));
        for (uint i = 0; i < ownerToKittyIds[_owner].length; i++) {
                result[i] = ownerToKittyIds[_owner][i];
        }
        return result;
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);
        //add to owner - kitty mapping
        kittyIndexToOwner[newKittenId] = _owner;      
        //add to owners Kittys array
        ownerToKittyIds[_owner].push(newKittenId);
        //add position in owners kitty list to mapping
        kittyIndexToOwnerIndex[newKittenId] = ownerToKittyIds[_owner].length -1;
        return newKittenId;
    }

//ownershipTokenCount[_to]++;
        ownerToKittyIds[_to].push(_tokenId);
        //add to owner - kitty mapping
        //kittyIndexToOwner[_tokenId] = _to;
        kittyIndexToOwnerIndex[_tokenId] = ownerToKittyIds[_to].length-1;
            uint kittyIdToSave = ownerToKittyIds[_from][ownerToKittyIds[_from].length - 1];
            for (uint i = 0; i < ownerToKittyIds[_from].length; i++) {
              if (_tokenId == ownerToKittyIds[_from][i]){
                ownerToKittyIds[_from][i] = kittyIdToSave;
                ownerToKittyIds[_from].pop();
              }
          }
        }

}

bool owns = false;
          for (uint i = 0; i < ownerToKittyIds[_claimant].length; i++) {
              if (_tokenId == ownerToKittyIds[_claimant][i]){owns=true;}
            if (owns == true){ return owns;}   
          }
          return false;
    }

}
1 Like

I get that there is additional storage with the new mapping but I think overall the efficiency is improved because of never needing to loop through the entire kitties array.

1 Like

@dan-i
Q: How do you create a Kitty in the contract(createKittyGen0 function). Do you just input any number like 1 or 2, etc. Or do you input any array of numbers like [0,0,1]?

Q: what does birthTime: uint(block.timestamp) actually do? I don’t see any sort of timestamp being returned when after creating kitten.

…basically, how can you measure how long it took for the function to be executed?

Sorry, I am getting frustrated…how is everyone measuring the time complexity? Just by gas consumption?

Hi @bjamRez

Q: How do you create a Kitty in the contract(createKittyGen0 function). Do you just input any number like 1 or 2, etc. Or do you input any array of numbers like [0,0,1]?

The createKittyGen0 has one parameter uint256 therefore it asks a number not an array.

}

what does birthTime: uint(block.timestamp) actually do? I don’t see any sort of timestamp being returned when after creating kitten.

The birthTime property of the Kitty struct saves the timestamp of the kitty birth time.
You can set the kitty array as public, create a kitty and inspect it as in my screenshot below, you will see the birthTime populated with the timestamp.

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 09.54.56

1 Like

The time of excecution as a function of number of new cats created is constant. Regardless on how many kittens have been created it will take the same time.

Since the function getAllCatsFor is an array that grows in sice. Querying information requires a for loop that iterates over its length. Therefore its excecution time scales linearly with array length.

We can circumvent this issue byn avoiding a for loop over getAllCats. For this we can use an extra mapping that maps owner address to an array of kitties Id.

We need to alter the mapping that stores kitty id, now it maps to a struct

// index of NFT to owner address
    struct kittyIndex2Owner_struct{
        address adrs;
        uint256 pointer;
    }
    mapping(uint256 => kittyIndex2Owner_struct) public kittyIndex2Owner;

displaying all kitties owned by an address is easy. However, what is challenging now is to edit the tokens from the extra mapping array. To solve this I have used the replace and pop logic, follow steps a) to e)

NtokensOwned[_to] += 1;
        kittyIndex2Owner[_tokenId].adrs = _to;

if (_from != address(0)){
            NtokensOwned[_from] -= 1;
            uint256 pointer2delete = kittyIndex2Owner[_tokenId].pointer;               // a) grab the pointer of the cat of the array for the sender
            uint256 elem2reuse = tokensOwned[_from][tokensOwned[_from].length -1];     // b) grab the last element in the cats-owned sender's array
            tokensOwned[_from][pointer2delete] = elem2reuse;                           // c) replace b) id in the cats-owned sender's array
            tokensOwned[_from].pop();                                                  // d) pop the last element in the sender's array
            tokensOwned[_to].push(_tokenId);                                           // e) append the token id to the receiver's array
        }
        tokensOwned[_to].push(_tokenId);                                               // if sending from address(0) do e) as well
    }

My complete solution is

// SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-3.0
pragma solidity >=0.8.2;

// ERC721 standard for NFTs

contract KittyContract{

//------------------------------------------------------
    // events
    event Transfer(address indexed from, address indexed to, uint256 tokenId);

event Birth(
        address owner,
        uint256 kittenId,
        uint32 momId,
        uint32 dadId,
        uint256 genes);

//--------------------------------------------------------
    // Data Storage for crypto-kitties
    struct Kitty{
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 momId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }  

Kitty[] kitties;

// index of NFT to owner address
    struct kittyIndex2Owner_struct{
        address adrs;
        uint256 pointer;
    }
    mapping(uint256 => kittyIndex2Owner_struct) public kittyIndex2Owner;

// address of owner to Number of NFTs owned
    mapping(address => uint256) NtokensOwned;

// address of owner to all kittens owned (array)
    mapping(address => uint256[]) tokensOwned;

//--------------------------------------------------------
    // functions query info of the NFT owners account (crypto kitties)

/*
    // @dev balanceOf: returns the number of crypto kitties tokens owned by input address
    // @param _owner: address of the account to ask its balance
    */
    function balanceOf(address _owner) external view returns (uint256 _balance){
        _balance = NtokensOwned[_owner];
    }

function ownerOf(uint256 _tokenId) external view returns(address _owner){
        _owner = kittyIndex2Owner[_tokenId].adrs;
    }

function _owns(address _claimer, uint256 _tokenId) internal view returns(bool){
        return kittyIndex2Owner[_tokenId].adrs == _claimer;
    }

/*
    // time-wise inefficient, iterates over an increasing array
    function getAllCatsFor(address _owner) public view returns(uint[] memory cats){
        uint[] memory result = new uint[](NtokensOwned[_owner]);
        uint counter = 0;
        for (uint i=0; i<kitties.length; i++){
            if (kittyIndex2Owner[i] == _owner){
                result[counter] += 1;
                counter += 1;
            }
        }
        return result;
    }
    */

function getAllCatsFor(address _owner) public view returns(uint[] memory){
        return tokensOwned[_owner];
    }

//------------------------------------------------------------
    // functions to create NFTs
    function totalSupply() public view returns(uint256 _TotSupply){
        _TotSupply = kitties.length;
    }

function _createKitty(
        uint32 _momId,
        uint32 _dadId,
        uint16 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
    ) private returns(uint256){
            momId: uint32(_momId),
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);
        uint256 newKittenId = kitties.length + 1;

emit Birth(_owner, newKittenId, _momId, _dadId, _genes);

return newKittenId;
    }

// Create genesis kitten
    }

// function to create kitties after genesis
    function createKitty(
        uint32 _momId,
        uint32 _dadId,
        uint16 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
    ) public returns (uint256){
        require(kitties.length != 0, "Genesis cat needs to be created before creating new cats");
        return _createKitty(_momId, _dadId, _generation, _genes, _owner);
    }

// functions to transact NFTs
    /*
    // @dev _transfer: 
    */
        NtokensOwned[_to] += 1;
        kittyIndex2Owner[_tokenId].adrs = _to;

if (_from != address(0)){
            NtokensOwned[_from] -= 1;
            uint256 pointer2delete = kittyIndex2Owner[_tokenId].pointer;               // a) grab the pointer of the cat of the array for the sender
            uint256 elem2reuse = tokensOwned[_from][tokensOwned[_from].length -1];     // b) grab the last element in the cats-owned sender's array
            tokensOwned[_from][pointer2delete] = elem2reuse;                           // c) replace b) id in the cats-owned sender's array
            tokensOwned[_from].pop();                                                  // d) pop the last element in the sender's array
            tokensOwned[_to].push(_tokenId);                                           // e) append the token id to the receiver's array
        }
        tokensOwned[_to].push(_tokenId);                                               // if sending from address(0) do e) as well
    }

/*
    // @dev transfer: tranfers an NFT from one account to another
    // @param _to: receiver address
    // @param _tokenId: Id of the token
    */
    function transfer(address _to, uint256 _tokenId) external{
        require(_to != address(0), "Not a valid address");
        require(_to != address(this), "Can not auto-trnasfer");
        require(_owns(msg.sender, _tokenId), "This address is not the owner");

}

}
1 Like

1. What is the time complexity of creating new cats?
Creating new cats has a constant time complexity, its always an array.push.

2. What is the time complexity of the getAllCatsFor function?
The time complexity of getAllCatsFor is linear because the execution time will be longer and longer as the kitties array grows.

3. How could the storage design be changed to make the getAllCats function constant?
There are several good possible designs, but mine is not one of them xD, here it goes:

Summary
pragma solidity ^0.8.2;

contract Kittycontract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
        uint collectionId;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

mapping (address => uint[]) collection;

}

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

{
        require(_to != address(0), "addres 0");
        require(_to != address(this), "this");
        require(_owns(msg.sender, _tokenId), "owns");

}

return collection[_owner];
    }

return _createKitty(0, 0, 0, 0, _genes, msg.sender);
    }

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint _collectionId,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
            generation: uint16(_generation),
            collectionId: uint(_collectionId)
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

kitties[newKittenId].collectionId = newKittenId;

return newKittenId;

}

collection[_to].push(_tokenId);

uint idBefore = kitties[_tokenId].collectionId;
            kitties[_tokenId].collectionId = collection[_to].length - 1;
            delete collection[_from][idBefore];  
            uint toMove = collection[_from].length - 1;   
            collection[_from][idBefore] = toMove;   
            collection[_from].pop();  
        }

}

}

function getCollection(uint tokenId) public view returns(uint collect){
      return kitties[tokenId].collectionId;
  }

}

Pros : The time complexity of the getAllCats function is now constant.

Cons: This implementation was really bad, i created 2 new state variables, i am not sure but i would say around 4 new local variables, and the overall complexity of the contract is higher, but specially the complexity of the function _transfer is much higher now, making it prone to errors and really expensive because _transfer is going to be used like 1T times.

It indeed has a fatal flaw D:, it fails to update the collectionId of the kitty that we shift when we delete the collectionId of the kitty that wwe sold, its hard for me to explain but this is not workign properly, and fixing it somehow will add even MORE complexity to this already unnecessarily complex thing, so im gonna change the approach, cause this one was a reaaaally bad approach

new code is here, it is still more complex than the original, but less complex than my first try and this one actually works xD

Summary
pragma solidity ^0.8.0;

contract Kittycontract {

event Birth(
        address owner, 
        uint256 kittenId, 
        uint256 mumId, 
        uint256 dadId, 
        uint256 genes
    );

struct Kitty {
        uint256 genes;
        uint64 birthTime;
        uint32 mumId;
        uint32 dadId;
        uint16 generation;
    }

Kitty[] kitties;

mapping (address => uint[]) collection;
    mapping(uint => uint) indxInCollection; 

}

return kitties.length;
    }

{
    }

{

}

return collection[_owner];
    }

}

function _createKitty(
        uint256 _mumId,
        uint256 _dadId,
        uint256 _generation,
        uint256 _genes,
        address _owner
        });

kitties.push(_kitty);

return newKittenId;

}

collection[_to].push(_tokenId);
        uint idBefore = indxInCollection[_tokenId];
        indxInCollection[_tokenId] = collection[_to].length - 1;

delete collection[_from][idBefore];
            uint shift = collection[_from][collection[_from].length - 1];
            indxInCollection[shift] = idBefore;
            collection[_from][idBefore] = collection[_from].length - 1;
            collection[_from].pop();
            }

}

}

function GetindxInCollection(uint _tokenId)public view returns(uint id){
      return indxInCollection[_tokenId];
  }

}

I created two new state variables and only had to change the _transfer function, big improvement from my very bad first try, where i modified all the minting functions and the _transfer function.

1 Like