Are you prepared for the upcoming hardforks?

Hi guys, just wondering how do you guys prepare for the upcoming hardforks (i.e. BTG and SW2x)? I just converted all my peripheral positions (NEO, DASH, ARK, STEEM, VTC … :open_mouth:) back to BTC and stored it on my Ledger Nano S.

Cheers

Interesting, what is your rationale for doing so? So that you can get the coins on the alt chain? As a result of the run up to the split, these alt coins can appreciate against BTC quite a bit resulting in a net loss or am I reading this wrong?

2 Likes

I would be keen to learn the best place to store my BTC for the hard fork. I have a ledger nano S on order but been waiting over a month, so if it does not come in time I need to know the next best option, the software wallet electrum perhaps?

I was caught out on the last hard fork as I had my BTC in the blockchain.info wallet, never again. Every transaction you make uses a different private key with that wallet. They also hide the keys from you, when I eventually found the 60+ keys I then had to scan them all for BCH in a dedecated BCH wallet to recover my BCH. This all took the best part of a day as I had no idea to do all of the above and had to research it all. I did not get all of my BCH as when doing the scan it showed most of it as being spent already. Which of course I did not as I did not even recovered my BCH. As BCH is supposed to be protected from replay attacks I can only assume that when I sent part of BTC from my blockchain.info wallet to exchanges after the fork the BCH was sent with it without my knowledge or consent and lost forever. Moral of the story dont use blockchain.info during a hard fork.

2 Likes

Because of the BCH fork (which is probably considered as success given its 4th market cap position), I personally think people will react differently this time. Myself included. I think most of people will want to get as much BCG as possible, at least temporarily. However, I would switch towards altcoins to prepare for SegWit 2x fork. Somewhere something is likely to go wrong …

I also think people are optimistic on BCG for its GPU mining capability since ETH is moving towards POS.

Anyone else thinking along the same line?

Sorry to hear that, Dave … I personally only know Ledger Nano S and it worked as charm in the last fork.

I guess the next best thing might be paper wallet? I haven’t used one before … Perhaps someone else can provide an opinion …

Given that CoinBase has issued some clarification on the upcoming hard fork, it is probably better than nothing …

1 Like

@Ya19ng This time around I am going to do the opposite, I am going to hold cash and wait for my favorite alt coins to drop with everyone exiting to buy btc before i buy more alt coins. I had a bad experience like @David_Wyness during the last fork so lets see how this goes…the only disruptor to my plan could be china opening the floodgates at the wrong time and everything goes up…uhg, to invest now or wait, its such a gamble…

2 Likes

Cash is very safe :smiley:

Altcoins probably had a blood bath today, so I think it might be a good entry point. In trading with BTC, DASH is below 200 days moving average now and NEO is at 50 days moving average. These are probably the lowest points in a long time.

Please make your judgement as this is not an advice :smiley:

Heard BTG is scam . No replay protection yet. Premined coins.

Not true my friend. BTG is just an altcoin that is forked from bitcoin, but it does have strong replay protection like BCH. Since it is a fork, BTG shares the history of BTC prior to the fork. BTG will require GPU mining instead of ASIC (CPU) algorithm to mine the rest of 21 million coins which is exactly like BTC.

Now, what you might be referring to is SegWit2x, which another fork of bitcoin in November. SW2x only has opt-in replay protection due to those arrogant developers who don’t care average users like you and me. But SW2x is also not premined coins.

Then how do you explain this ?

2 Likes

Holy crap that sucks. Thanks for sharing. I will also be cashing some positions out into BTC ahead of the hard fork but there’s still time left to take advantage of this recent altcoin dip which should rise back up in the next few weeks ahead of the fork.

These are the responses I can find that were posted by BTG devs:

1. Strong reply protection is planned and BTG musn’t launch without it, see github issue: https://github.com/BTCGPU/BTCGPU/issues/18
  2. Premine is no way to happen because the software itself is not done. The fork height is more like a placeholder and the plan to fork on Oct 25 has never changed. See issue: https://github.com/BTCGPU/BTCGPU/issues/21
  3. “The legacy website has been replaced immediately when the team is formed, because it’s not aligned with our current plan.” Quoted according to h4x3rotab

In addition, I read that if there is premined coins (e.g. 1600 blocks), it will probably be time locked with decentralised system as governance. It sounds good so far.

Jimmy Song, who I have great respect to, has posted an article about BTG as well. Take a look: _https://bitcointechtalk.com/bitcoin-gold-what-you-need-to-know-8b3e645be409

I’m saving my private keys in secure location. After the fork, i think i’m going to sell them as soon as possible. I don’t see much future in BTC Gold.