Advanced EOS 003 - Table Secondary Indexes

EOS Multi-Index Tables - Indexes

Table Primary & Secondary Indexes

Let’s take a look at tables and utilising indexes too store and retrieve our data. You can view the complete code on Github.

https://github.com/MitchPierias/Advanced-EOS-Examples/tree/master/03_Table-Indexes

Primary Indexes

Defining our Struct
The simplest and required index for each table is the primary_key. The primary_key property is used to ensure uniqueness between rows just like any conventional database.

Let’s setup our struct and define our primary_key index as id. We will use the users account_name for uniqueness and cover a more versatile method in the following chapter.

// @abi table items i64
struct Item {
  account_name      id;
  string            name;
  uint64_t          attack;
  account_name      owner;

auto primary_key() const { return id; };
  EOSLIB_SERIALIZE(Item, (id)(name)(attack)(owner));
};

And our typedef with a primary index

typedef multi_index<N(items), Item> items_table;

Secondary Indexes

Defining our Indexes
Now let’s define a secondary index to fetch items by their respective owner. We will start by updating our struct to use a secondary index called get_owner().

// @abi table items i64
struct Item {
  auto              id;
  string            name;
  uint64_t          attack;
  account_name      owner;

auto primary_key() const { return id; };
  uint64_t get_owner() const { return owner; };
  EOSLIB_SERIALIZE(Item, (id)(name)(attack)(owner));
};

The get_owner() function returns the owner property of a table row. Before we can search items by owner, we first need to define our index and attach our function. Let’s modify our typedef to utilize our new lookup.

typedef multi_index<N(items), Item, indexed_by<N(byowner), const_mem_fun<Item, uint64_t, &Item::get_owner>>> item_table;

If we now take a closer look at our typedef you can see we’ve added a new argument, indexed_by<>. The indexed_by<NAME,FUNCTION> macro takes two arguments; The index name N(byowner) which we will use to recall our index later, and the function const_mem_fun<Item, uint64_t, &Item::get_owner> defined as const_mem_fun<STRUCT,INDEX_RETURN_TYPE,LOOKUP_FUNCTION>, which attaches our get_owner() to our index.

Using our Indexes
We’ve indexed our item’s owner, but how do we now find items owned by a particular user? Let’s create a get() function to do just that.

// @abi action
void get(const account_name account) {
  // Fetch items and print
  item_table items(_self, _self);
  auto playerItems = items.get_index<N(byowner)>();
  auto iter = playerItems.lower_bound(account);
  while (iter != playerItems.end()) {
    print("Item ", iter->name);
    iter++;
  }
}

First we instantiate the item_table within the scope of the contract using _self. Then we get the index we set earlier using the table’s get_index<NAME> macro by passing in the indexes name N(byowner). Now we have the index reference, we can fetch an iterator from the first object using the lower_bound(QUERY_VALUE) method and the account_name passed into the action. Finally we loop through the iterator, printing out each objects name value until we reach the indexes end().

I see you wrote this in Sep of last year. at present I’m working with CDT 1.5.0 and I can’t make this work. I documented specifics here: https://eosio.stackexchange.com/questions/3849/how-to-sort-a-table which include a reference to your approach. any help would be greatly appreciated

I noticed on StackOverflow that you resolved this? Good to hear!