Inheritance Assignment

Hi again @Bitborn,

I’ve noticed that you never got a reply to this other post of yours last August! I went on leave just after I replied to your original post so I didn’t pick up your reply back, and it seems nobody else did either. Apologies for that! Anyway, as you seem to be working on this particular part of the 101 course again, and we are discussing some other points you’ve raised as well, I thought you might still find a response helpful to tie up any loose ends :sweat_smile:

Yes, exactly. Have a look at this post for further details about why the additional local variable receiver was used in the model solution, even though it’s not necessary.

And, by the way, msg.sender is the value assigned to the local payable address variable receiver, and not the other way around.

Yes 

• Whichever address you deployed the contract with, this will be assigned by the constructor to the owner address state variable.
  • Because only the owner address can call your destruction() function, msg.sender in this function can only be the owner address.
  • So, the msg.sender passed as the argument to selfdestruct can only be the owner address.
  • As well as destroying the contract, selfdestruct will also automatically transfer the remaining contract balance to the payable address argument it is called with (in our case, the owner address). This is all part of the pre-defined selfdestruct functionality.
  • The remaining contract balance is transferred to the contract owner’s external address balance. You will see this reflected as an increase in the contract owner’s address balance in the Account field near the top of the Deploy & Run Transactions panel in Remix. If the address that deployed your contract (the contract owner’s address) isn’t showing in the Account field, you need to select it from the dropdown.

The contract balance, and each of the users’ individual balances recorded in the mapping (each retrieved by the getBalance function), will be zero, because the contract has been destroyed. If the owner address also had a share of the total amount of ether deposited in the contract (reflected as a balance in the mapping) then, as with all users, if the owner address calls getBalance(), this too will return a balance of zero. The contract owner’s share of the total contract balance will be zero, as it will be for all users. Instead of allowing all of the funds held in the contract to disappear, the total is transferred OUT OF the contract to the contract owner’s EXTERNAL address balance.

You need to be very clear about which balances you are looking at:

• External address balances (think of them as wallet addresses) in the Account field.
  • Individual user balances, which record each user’s share of the contract’s total ether balance. These are like internal accounting balances, which track each user’s changing entitlement to withdraw ether from the contract. A specific user’s balance is retrieved by that user address calling the getBalance() function.
  • The total contract balance: the total amount of ether held by the address the contract is deployed at. This balance can be retrieved by adding the following function to your contract. You will probably find it very useful for testing purposes (any address can call it) 

function getContractBalance() public view returns(uint) {
    return address(this).balance;
}

Let me know if anything is still unclear about this assignment, or if you have any further questions :muscle:

Hi @diehlca17,

The code within the body of each contract (Ownable and Destroyable) is correct, but your inheritance structure is incorrectly coded. This means that your Bank contract won’t compile.

If you check the compiler errors, you will see that your files can’t be found. This is because their .sol file-type is missing in the import statements.

Once you’ve added those, you will then get a compiler error for your Ownable contract header. This is because you can’t have two contracts inheriting each other. There must be a parent/child relationship. Think carefully about which of these two contracts needs to inherit functionality from the other. This will establish an appropriate parent/child relationship, which you then need to reflect in the code.

When you’ve corrected this, as well as Ownable.sol and Destroyable.sol, you also need to post the top few lines of code in your Bank.sol file (up to and including the contract header). This is so we can see how it inherits the functionality it needs. Bank is the contract we want to deploy, and ultimately destroy, so even if you haven’t made any changes to the body of the contract, you still need to demonstrate how you’ve coded the inheritance relationship.

Just let me know if anything is unclear, or if you have any questions about how to correct your code :slight_smile:

@jon_m hey mate would you mind reviewing my code? I was also wondering what the difference would be in my event if both my value and addresses were indexed. Thank you

/ SPDX-License-Identifier: MIT

pragma solidity 0.7.5;
import “./Destroyable.sol”;
contract etherBank is Destroyable{

//Deposit, Withdraw, Transfer, and getBalance
//keeping in mind the security

mapping(address => uint)balance;
event depositedTo(uint amount, address indexed account);

function getBalance() public view returns(uint){

return balance[msg.sender];

}

function deposit() public payable returns(uint){

balance[msg.sender] += msg.value;

emit depositedTo(msg.value, msg.sender);

}

function withdraw(uint value)public returns(uint){

require(balance[msg.sender] >= value, "Not sufficient funds for withdrawal");

uint previousBalance = balance[msg.sender];

balance[msg.sender]-= value;

msg.sender.transfer(value);

assert(previousBalance-value == balance[msg.sender]);

}

function transfer(address to, uint value)public {

require(msg.sender != to, "Can't send money to yourself m8");

require(balance[msg.sender] >= value, "Not sufficient funds m8");

_transfer(to, msg.sender, value);

}

function _transfer(address to, address from, uint value)private{

balance[to]+= value;

balance[from]-= value;

}

}

1 Like

// SPDX-License-Identifier: MIT

pragma solidity 0.7.5;

import “./Ownable.sol”;

contract Destroyable is Ownable{

function close()public onlyOwner{

selfdestruct(msg.sender);    

}                                  

}

1 Like

// SPDX-License-Identifier: MIT

pragma solidity 0.7.5;

contract Ownable {

address public owner;

modifier onlyOwner{

require(msg.sender == owner, "you're not the owner");

_;

}

constructor(){

owner = msg.sender;

}

}

1 Like

An excellent set of contracts @Achilles_Armendariz :muscle:

and welcome to the forum! I hope you’ve been enjoying this course.

Inheritance Assignment

Your implementation of a multi-level inheritance structure is the best approach, because it is more streamlined. etherBank only needs to explicitly inherit Destroyable because it will implicitly inherit Ownable via Destroyable.

Transfer Assignment

As this is the first code you’ve posted for this course, I’ll also give you some feedback on your withdraw() function in the etherBank contract, which was the task for the earlier Transfer Assignment

You have added all of the lines of code needed to solve the problem with the withdraw() function, and the additional two lines you’ve added for the assert() statement are also well coded. In addition, your statements are in the correct order within the function body to reduce security risk:

• Check inputs (require statements)
  • Effects (update the contract state)
  • External Interactions (e.g. transfer method)

Just as you have done, it’s important to modify the contract state for the reduction in the individual user’s balance

before actually transferring the funds out of the contract to the external address

This is to prevent what is known as a re-entrancy attack from occuring after the transfer, but before the user’s individual balance (effectively, the share of the total contract balance they are entitled to withdraw) is reduced to reflect this operation. You’ll learn more about this type of attack, and how the above order of operations helps to prevent it, in the courses which follow this one. But it’s great you’re already getting into good habits in terms of smart contract security :+1:

In terms of your question about indexing event parameters 

Marking event parameters as indexed allows their names to be used as search parameters to filter logged event data and search for specific events in the frontend/UI using a library such as web3.js. However, each event parameter that is indexed (up to a maximum of 3 per event declaration) increases the gas cost, so they should only be indexed when this is actually necessary.

Therefore, deciding whether or not to index event parameters will depend on whether we will need to retrieve historical event data and, if so, whether we require the returned dataset to have been filtered according to specific event parameters other than the event name.

For example 

• If we need to retrieve the historical event data just for the deposits made by a specific address, then we need to index the address parameter corresponding to the depositor’s address.

• If we don’t need to retrieve the historical event data just for deposits of a specific amount, then indexing the amount parameter won’t be necessary.

• If we need to retrieve the historical event data just for the deposits of a specific amount made by a specific address, then we need to index both of these parameters.

Here’s a link to a helpful discussion about indexing, which I think explains quite well how this works in practice:

https://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/8658/what-does-the-indexed-keyword-do/8659

You are actually missing a transfer event in your etherBank contract. This was the task for the Events Assignment — to add code to the contract, so that each successful transfer logs an event with appropriate data. I think you may have missed it: it’s the assignment from the Events video lecture, which is near the end of the Additional Solidity Concepts section of the course. I would encourage you to do this assignment because it will be good practice coding events, and it will also give you an opportunity to think about which event parameters to index, based on the information I’ve given you in this post :slight_smile:

Just let me know if anything is unclear, or if you have any further questions.

Hello! This is the Ownable contract:

pragma solidity 0.7.5;

contract Ownable {

address owner;
    constructor(){
        owner = msg.sender;
    }
    modifier onlyOwner {
         require(msg.sender == owner);
         _;
    }
}

This is the Destroyable contract:

pragma solidity 0.7.5;
import "./Ownable.sol";

contract Destroyable  is Ownable {

function destroy() public onlyOwner{
    selfdestruct(payable (msg.sender));
}
}

And this is the beginning of the Bank contract:

pragma solidity 0.7.5;
import "./Destroyable.sol";

contract Bank is Destroyable {

It’s working for me

1 Like

awesome, thanks for the feedback! Also that explanation for events really helped me out

1 Like

Nice solution @Oprea :ok_hand:

Your implementation of a multi-level inheritance structure is the best approach, because it is more streamlined. Bank only needs to explicitly inherit Destroyable because it will implicitly inherit Ownable via Destroyable.

This line of code works, but because we’re using Solidity v0.7 in this course, msg.sender is already a payable address by default, and so doesn’t need to be explicitly converted whenever the syntax requires it to reference a payable address (such as here, as the payable address argument passed to selfdestruct ).

// Solidity v0.7
selfdestruct(msg.sender);   // compiles

However, from Solidity v0.8, msg.sender is non-payable by default, which means having to do what you’ve done and explicity convert it to a payable address when necessary 

// Solidity v0.8
selfdestruct(payable(msg.sender));   // compiles
selfdestruct(msg.sender);            // throws a compiler error

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Ownable.sol

pragma solidity 0.7.5;

contract Ownable {
    address public owner;

modifier onlyOwner {
        _; //run the function
    }

constructor(){
        owner = msg.sender;
    }
}

Destroyable.sol

pragma solidity 0.7.5;

import "./Ownable.sol";

contract Destroyable is Ownable {
    function selfDestruct() public onlyOwner {
        selfdestruct(payable(owner));
    }
}

Bank.sol

pragma solidity 0.7.5;

contract Bank is Ownable, Destroyable{

I left out a chunk of the main bank file because I figured it just needed the inheritance part but if you need more I can post it! I also had a queston about naming convention. Is it wise to name the function as I did? Is there a problem with having the function named so closely to the built-in selfdestruct()?

1 Like

Great solution @0xsundown :ok_hand:

No that’s fine :+1:

But you can also remove Ownable from the Bank contract header. Destroyable already inherits Ownable, and so even if Bank only inherits Destroyable explicitly, it will still inherit Ownable implicitly via Destroyable. This will give you a multi-level inheritance structure

contract A { ... }
contract B is A { ... }
contract C is B { ... }

I don’t know if it was unintentional, but your code already demonstrates that Bank.sol doesn’t need to import Ownable.sol. If Bank needed to explicity inherit Ownable — and include it in the Bank contract header as you have — then it would also need to import Ownable.sol.

Great question!

As you’ve probably already discovered, the compiler throws an error if you try to name the “wrapping” function selfdestruct because this is already the name of the in-built selfdestruct method. You are right, and wise, to consider whether using an almost identical name is a good idea, because in some situations this could definitely cause confusion. In terms of the smart contract code executing successfuly and securely, the degree of difference between the two names is irrelevant. But we do need to consider whether such a close similarity could lead to confusion when reading or developing the contract.

I actually don’t think it’s a problem here, because when I read your code, it’s obvious which is the main “wrapping” function (the function called by the contract owner from the external service), and which is the in-built selfdestruct method provided by Solidity. As with the in-built transfer method, selfdestruct can only be implemented within a function body, and so this further makes the distinction clear.

As the whole purpose of the “wrapping” function is essentially to call selfdestruct and destroy the contract, then I actually think the fact that you’ve chosen very similar names highlights the connection between them in a positive and helpful way :+1:

Just let me know if you have any further questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

bank.sol

//SPDX-License-Identifier: UNLICENSED
pragma solidity 0.7.5;

import "./destroyable.sol";

contract Bank is Destroyable {

mapping(address => uint) balance;

event depositDone(uint amount, address indexed depositedTo);

function deposit(uint qty) public payable returns (uint)  {
        balance[msg.sender] += qty; //msg.value;
        //emit depositDone(msg.value, msg.sender);
        emit depositDone(qty, msg.sender);
    }

function withdraw(uint amount) public returns (uint){
        require(balance[msg.sender] >= amount);
        balance[msg.sender] -= amount;
        msg.sender.transfer(amount);
    }

function getBalance() public view returns (uint){
    }

function transfer(address recipient, uint amount) public {
        require(balance[msg.sender] >= amount, "Balance not sufficient");
        require(msg.sender != recipient, "Don't transfer money to yourself");

uint previousSenderBalance = balance[msg.sender];

_transfer(msg.sender, recipient, amount);

assert(balance[msg.sender] == previousSenderBalance - amount);
    }

function _transfer(address from, address to, uint amount) private {
        balance[from] -= amount;
        balance[to] += amount;
    }

}

destroyable.sol

pragma solidity 0.7.5;

import "./ownable.sol";

contract Destroyable is Ownable {

function close() public onlyOwner{ 
        selfdestruct(owner); 
    }
}

ownable.sol

pragma solidity 0.7.5;

contract Ownable {
    address payable internal owner;

modifier onlyOwner {
            require(msg.sender == owner, "This action is only available to the contract owner");
            _; //run the function
        }

constructor() { 
        owner = msg.sender;
    }
}
1 Like

In the deposit function in bank.sol proposed as solution (link to Github file), I don’t totally understand how msg.value works and how to fill it up in Remix when running a transaction. I actually had to change msg.value to a parameter uint qty to be able to work:

function deposit(uint qty) public payable returns (uint)  {
        balance[msg.sender] += qty; //msg.value;
        //emit depositDone(msg.value, msg.sender);
        emit depositDone(qty, msg.sender);
    }

1 Like

I have a small question. I first wrote my own code, which you can see below. I then checked the solution. It seems to work exactly the same, but could someone give me a second opinion?

The Bank contract

pragma solidity 0.7.5;

import "./Ownable.sol";

contract Bank is Ownable, Destroyable {

The Ownable contract

pragma solidity 0.7.5; 

contract Ownable {
    address owner;

modifier onlyOwner {
        _;
    }

constructor() {
        owner = msg.sender;
    }
}

The Destroyable contract

pragma solidity 0.7.5;

import "./Ownable.sol";

contract Destroyable is Ownable{

function destroy() public onlyOwner() {
        selfdestruct(msg.sender);
    }
}
1 Like

Hey Cesc,

That photo-gif makes me smile — is it a selfie? :grin:

Before I answer your question 

Your inheritance structure is well coded, and your solution will meet all of the assignment objectives, as long as when you call your deposit() function you input the same uint value in units of Wei (for the qty argument, next to the red deposit function-call button) as the Ether value you enter in the Value field (just below the Gas Limit in the same Deploy & Run Transactions panel in Remix) e.g.

Value field & adjacent dropdown:
  5 Ether   or   5000000000 Gwei (9 x 0’s)   or   5000000000000000000 Wei (18 x 0’s)

uint qty argument:
  5000000000000000000 (18 x 0’s)

That way, the increase in the user’s individual balance in the mapping (recording their share of the total contract balance) will be the same as the actual amount of Ether (in units of Wei) added to the contract balance.

But this is a very long-winded, and unnecessary, way of doing this (see my answer to your question below).

If you only call the deposit() function with the uint qty argument (without an Ether value), then the mapping will record an amount of Ether which that user is entitled to withdraw from the contract (their share of the total contract balance), but without actually transferring any Ether from the user’s external address balance (shown in the Account field, near the top of the Deploy & Run Transactions panel) to the contract address balance. In other words, the mapping will record individual user balances (amounts each user is entitled to withdraw from the contract) but the contract itself won’t actually hold any Ether for these users to withdraw.

The first thing to understand is that we only mark a function as payable when it needs to receive Ether from an external address to add to the contract address balance e.g. the deposit() function. In Remix, the Value field (and adjacent dropdown) makes it easy to send Ether from an external address to a deployed contract. Whatever value we enter here will be sent to the payable function we call with a red button, and automatically added to the contract address balance. The contract address is the address shown next to the name of the deployed contract below where it says Deployed Contracts at the bottom of the Deploy & Run Transactions panel. When we mark a function as payable, Remix will highlight this by giving us a red button to call that function (highlighting that the function expects to receive an Ether value which has been input in the Value field).

In our function body, in the same way that msg.sender will always reference the address that calls the function (the address showing in the Account field when the function-call button is clicked), msg.value will always reference the Ether value (in the Value field and adjacent dropdown) sent to the function from the caller’s (msg.sender's) external address balance.

In the same way that argument values input into a function can be referenced within the function body using the names of their parameters (defined between the parentheses after the function name in the function header), both the calling address and any Ether value sent to a payable function can also be referenced, but without the need to explicity define them as parameters. They are like in-built parameters (pre-defined in Solidity’s syntax) which we can reference using msg.sender and msg.value.

It might help to think of payable in a function header as the code that enables msg.value to be added to the contract address balance, without us having to add any further code for this. In the deposit() function, this happens automatically because we have marked the function as payable . The line 

then adds this same Ether value (always in units of Wei) to the individual user’s balance in the mapping, in order to keep track of their share of the total funds held in the contract. By using msg.value, instead of a separate uint qty parameter, we ensure that whatever units the Ether value has been expressed in (Ether, Gwei etc.) in the Value field, the same uint equivalent in Wei will always be added to the individual user’s balance in the mapping.

So that’s why the deposit() function doesn’t need any explicit parameters, and doesn’t need to be called with any arguments, because the only values it needs to reference in the code in its function body are the caller’s address (msg.sender) and the Ether value sent to it (msg.value).

Calling getBalance() will retrieve the caller’s individual share (their entitlement) of the total amount of Ether held in the contract. If you also add the following function to your contract, you can call it to retrieve the current total contract address balance (total amount of Ether held in the contract).

function getContractBalance() public view returns(uint) {
    return address(this).balance;
}

Any address can call this function and it will always return the total contract balance (not the caller’s individual share of that total balance). In our Bank contract, before we add the external value call to the Government contract (in the last course video before the final Multisig project), the amount returned by getContractBalance() should always be equal to the sum of all the values returned by getBalance() for each individual user with funds in the contract.

We don’t (and shouldn’t) mark the withdraw() function as payable, because it doesn’t need to receive any Ether from an external address and add it to the contract balance. Effectively, the withdraw() function does the opposite of what the deposit() function does: it deducts Ether from the contract balance and transfers it to the caller’s external address balance. It does this using the in-built address member transfer (which is like a method called on a payable address)

<address payable>.transfer(uint amount);

Notice, however, that, unlike the deposit() function, the withdraw() function does need to include an explicit uint parameter for the withdrawal amount, because, unlike with payable functions, there is no in-built msg.value equivalent available for us to use. In any case, the set syntax of the transfer method requires it to be called with a uint value. This uint value needs to come from somewhere, and in the withdraw() function it comes from the requested withdrawal amount input by the caller.

The separate transfer() function (not the special transfer method in the withdraw function) shouldn’t be marked payable either. In fact, calling the transfer() function doesn’t involve any Ether entering or leaving the Bank contract at all. Instead, it performs an internal transfer of funds (effectively, a reallocation of funds) between two individual users of the Bank contract. The net effect to the contract balance is zero, and the only change is to the individual user balances in the mapping, in order to adjust the amount each of the parties involved in the internal transfer is entitled to withdraw from the contract (their share of the total contract balance) i.e. the recipient’s entitlement (balance) is increased by the same amount the sender’s entitlement is reduced.

I hope that’s helped to fill in some missing links in your understanding. You may also find this post helpful. It lays out step-by-step instructions of how to properly check that all of your functions are working correctly, and it details what you should see happening, and where, in Remix, if it is working correctly.

There’s probably a lot of information here to absorb, so take your time to think it all through and do some of your own testing, and when you’re ready, just let me know if anything is still unclear, or if you have any further questions :slight_smile:

Hi @simfin94,

Your solution is great, and it will work exactly like the model solution :ok_hand:

In fact, the 2 things you’ve done differently are actually improvements :muscle:

(1)  In your destroy() function 

calling selfdestruct() with msg.sender directly (as you have done) is more concise than adding the additional step with the local receiver variable 

address payable receiver = msg.sender;
selfdestruct(receiver);

We are using Solidity v0.7.5 in this course, and prior to v0.8 msg.sender is already a payable address by default, and so doesn’t need to be explicitly converted whenever the syntax requires it to reference a payable address e.g. as the payable address argument in the selfdestruct() function call, or as the payable address the transfer method is called on. However, from Solidity v.0.8 msg.sender is non-payable by default, which would mean having to explicity convert msg.sender to a payable address when necessary. But even so, we can still do this directly within the function call itself, without having to include an additional local payable variable e.g.

// Solidity v0.8 syntax
selfdestruct(payable(msg.sender));

Have a look at this post for further details about the use of the additional local variable receiver in the model solution.

(2) Unlike functions, the visibility of state variables defaults to internal when the visibility keyword is omitted; unlike public and private , the internal keyword is optional. So, your state variable declaration in Ownable 

is a more concise alternative to 

address internal owner;

Both work, but including the internal keyword here is unnecessary. It was probably included in the model solution in order to highlight the fact that owner has internal visibility, and so will be available in the derived contract. In practice, we would probably only want to explicity include the internal keyword in a state variable definition for emphasis or clarity; for example, if omitting it risks anyone reading or working with the code thinking otherwise.

Just one final observation 

Destroyable already inherits Ownable, and so Bank only needs to explicity inherit Destroyable, because it will still inherit Ownable implicitly via Destroyable. This will give you a much “cleaner” multi-level inheritance structure

contract A { ... }
contract B is A { ... }
contract C is B { ... }

Just let me know if you have any further questions :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot @jon_m! It’s a super-helpful explanation :raised_hands: . It MAKES a lot of sense now that the Solidity standard defines he msg.value, msg.sender and the payable modifier. Here’s a little diagram I made:

One small thing I still don’t fully grasp though is how does Solidity do it to avoid the double-spending problem with the payable functions:

function deposit() public payable returns (uint)  {
        emit depositDone(msg.value, msg.sender);
    }

It is clear that after running deposit() the balance of msg.sender is increased with an amount of ETH (or whatever other unit that is chosen) as defined in msg.value. Furthermore, when I look in Remix, the msg.sender account is, in fact, credited (subtracted) that amount. But this seems to be happening automagically. It is as though when using payable and increasing the total contract balance, Solidity knows it has to credit the amount from msg.sender wallet.

This is in stark contrast with how it happens when we use withdraw(uint amount). As you correctly point out, this function does not have the payable modifier (because the account does not receive any money), but notice also how it doesn’t have something that for the lack of a better word could be called the creditable modifier. It is up to the programmer to make sure both operations (debiting the receiver and crediting the sender) are in fact happening:

balance[msg.sender] -= amount;
        msg.sender.transfer(amount);

It would make more sense in my mind if the deposit() function forced you to do something like msg.sender.credit(amount); (which does not exist of course :slight_smile:) . There has to be some logic somehow to make sure that ETHs are not (1) created out of the blue; and the opposite (2) burned without the programmer explicitly saying so. But I can’t wrap my head around how this works other than just accepting this is how payable works and following blindly this syntax as a fact of life.

1 Like

Hi Cesc,

Nice diagram :ok_hand:

The payable function in the smart contract doesn’t deduct the ETH value from the sender’s (the caller’s) external address balance. This is why it doesn’t need an equivalent to the transfer method 

The calling address (i.e. msg.sender) chooses to call the deposit() function and send an ETH value to it (which the function can receive because it’s marked payable). Each Ethereum address on the Ethereum network has an account balance which records the amount of ETH held by that address in units of Wei. When an external address calls a specific function which sends a transaction to the network, the EVM will ensure the gas cost for that transaction is deducted from the calling address’s account balance. If the address also makes a value call, sending an ETH value to a payable function, then the EVM will ensure this value in uints of Wei is also deducted from the calling address’s account balance. This is what you see reflected in the Account field in Remix. The EVM works with units of Wei. The Remix user-interface has converted the external address account balances from Wei into Ether.

The Solidity syntax provides the smart contract developer with msg.sender and msg.value as a convenient way to program what the smart contract does (if anything) with the calling address value, and/or the Wei value sent to the smart contract. The Solidity keyword payable allows the developer to control how the smart contract can receive Ether (i.e. via which functions). When a smart contract receives Ether via one of its payable functions, the EVM will ensure that the equivalent uints of Wei are added to the contract address’s account balance.

In contrast, for Ether to be deducted from a smart contract’s address balance and sent to an external address’s account 

1. The smart contract needs a function which can be called with the required information; and
  2. Within this function, the developer needs to be able to program when a specific amount of Wei is deducted from the contract’s address balance and sent to the external address of a specific recipient. The pre-defined syntax Solidity provides for this includes, amongst others, the transfer method:   <address payable>.transfer(uint amount)

Whenever Ether is successfully received by, or sent from, a smart contract, the EVM will ensure that the amount in uints of Wei is either added to, or deducted from, the smart contract address’s account balance. If there are multiple users of the smart contract, each entitled to a share of the total contract balance, then the contract also needs to record and track each user’s changing entitlement. This internal accounting function is performed in our Bank contract by the mapping. A user’s individual balance in the mapping is adjusted 

• for each deposit with   balance[msg.sender] += msg.value;   which ensures the amount of Wei added to the contract address balance is reflected by an equivalent increase in the depositing address’s entitlement to (i.e. share of) the total amount of Ether held in the contract.

• for each withdrawal with   balance[msg.sender] -= amount;   which ensures the amount of Wei deducted from the contract address balance is reflected by an equivalent decrease in the withdrawing address’s entitlement to (i.e. share of) the total amount of Ether held in the contract.

The first line of code, here, is not “crediting” the sender, because the sender of the Ether is the contract address. As I’ve explained above, this first line of code adjusts the individual user’s share of the total contract balance. Their individual share is mapped to their external address in the balance mapping. Their address, here, is the key to their individual share in the mapping, and acts as an identifier for that user. The second line of code is both “crediting” the contract balance and “debiting” the receiving external address balance with the same amount.

I’m not sure whether I’ve fully addressed or answered your following question 

but hopefully, I’ve gone some way towards helping you understand some more of the logic behind the syntax :sweat_smile:

// SPDX-License-Identifier: Leluk911
pragma solidity 0.8.7;

contract Owner {
      // permanent owner
      //------> address public immutable owner;
      // mutable owner
      address payable public owner;

constructor(){
          // set first or only owner
          owner = payable(msg.sender);
      }
      modifier OnlyOwner{