History of DeFi - Assignment

1. According to CoinMarketCap, the term for Decentralised Finance - DeFi - was born in August 2017. It’s an ecosystem of apps, using blockchain technology and it allows us to do finance in a permissionless, open and transparent way. One of the first successful project was MakerDAO, a decentralised lending protocol.

2. Recently (early 2021?), ETNA Network’s DeBank was one of the first platforms to accept NFTs as a collateral. I think it’s important to provide a wider range of collateral, give additional use case to NFTs.

1 Like
  1. August 2018 in a telegram chat between ETH developers and entrepreneurs. They wanted to open finance applications from traditional systems.

2. Superfarm (SUPER) is een platform for NFT’s

1 Like
  1. The term DeFi, short for decentralized finance, was born in an August 2018 Telegram chat between Ethereum developers and entrepreneurs including Inje Yeo of Set Protocol, Blake Henderson of 0x and Brendan Forster of Dharma.

2. China prohibited financial institutions from engaging in any crypto transactions in May 2021. Then it banned all domestic crypto mining in June, and finally outlawed cryptocurrencies outright in September. This should be included in the history of DeFi as China used to be a major place for crypto mining.

1 Like

1.)The term DeFi originated among Ethereum developers and entrepreneurs (specifically Inje Yeo, Blake Henderson, and Brendan Forster).
2.) An important protocol I believe that wasn’t mentioned is AMP, although it is a relatively new protocol established as of September 2020. AMP provides further decentralized collateral for real-world exchanges of funds on the Flexa Network. These real-world payments covered include things like loan distribution and property sales.

1 Like
  1. DeFi originated from ETH developers and entrepreneurs over a Telegram chat during August 2018. They were discussing on what to call the movement to open up financial applications on the Ethereum blockchain network.
  2. Curve
2 Likes
  • Read about it in this link - Story of DeFi: How it Started, Where It Stands Now, DeFi Definition Revisited | by WTF | DeFi.WTF | Medium -. In this text the speaker says that it was because it sounds good… but thinking in everything that it represents, Blockchain technology and Bitcoin, and then Vitali with his desire to revolutionize the possibilities of Bitcoin and then starting Ethereum, and the trigger to everything that i said it’s because our traditional economic system fails… and fails a lot. We really need that something that works decentralized, including everyone, that makes possible to everyone to participate… and so on. So DeFi is DeFi because it mean to be. Other name or expression wouldn’t feet, woudn’t traction. I really respect and enjoy the history but in this aspect i really feel a huge conection to the Satoshi “spirit”, or Wu Ming or name as you wish…

• I read so much interesting things posted by other students - i must thanks you all for that - and i really don’t have much to add, thinking in history terms… i don’t know if everyone here knows but i would like to propose a history being made… maybe Radix (XRD - download the White Paper to read…) would be an interesting path to contribute to DeFi growth

2 Likes
  1. Where did the term DeFi originate? Be as detailed in your
    explanation as you’d like
    DEFI orginate from decentralized finance. The term was born in a Telegram chat between developpers in 2018

2. Find an important event or protocol that I didn’t mention, but you think is important to be recorded in the history of DeFi. Then explain why it should be included and check out what other community members have added. None of us are as smart as all of us so let’s work together on this.

There is so much DEFI project now, the important event is happening at the moment is the massive adoption and the rise in the credibility of DEFI. More and more pepoles are taking it seriously, it’s good for the whole network.

1 Like
  1. According to Google: The term DeFi, short for decentralized finance, was born in an August 2018 Telegram chat between Ethereum developers and entrepreneurs including Inje Yeo of Set Protocol, Blake Henderson of 0x and Brendan Forster of Dharma.

2. A good reference https://finematics.com/history-of-defi-explained/ and thank you for providing it, gives an easy to understand timeline of the history of DeFi. Mostly the same info as the video but easier to understand if reading is easier than videos.

1 Like

1 - DeFi was coined in 2018 by a group of entrepreneurs and Ethereum developers who wanted to open up finance applications from traditional systems. The abbreviation sounds like defy, which is intentional.

2 - I think Fantom and Luna have great DeFi solutions, with lower fees than Ethereum and great APY for investors

1 Like
  1. In 2018, Ethereum developers and entrepreneurs including Inje Yeo of Set Protocol, Blake Henderson of 0x and Brendan Forster of Dharma were brainstorming ideas and came up with the concept of DeFi in a Telegram chat!

2. DeFi 2.0 is a period worth discussing! Alchemix ($ALCX) is a protocol that is innovating with self-repaying loans!

1 Like
  1. in my research various names were mentioned including Reggie Middleton of Veritaseum. The main narrative on google seems to be,
    in 2018 in a telegram chat between Eth developers and entrepreneurs the term was created.
    2.a 1inch aggregator searches for the cheapest price across different exchanges/networks and shows what route it took clearly on screen.
    1 inch also offers other services and has a decent Earn section.
1 Like
  1. The term “DeFi” is said to have been coined in 2018 by members of the 0x team.

2. The introduction of Chainlink seems like an important event as that enables the creation of entirely new classes of decentralized financial instruments that work with real-world, off-chain data.

1 Like
  1. It was a term used between eth developers in a telegram chat in 2017.

2. While I haven’t actually used it I thought Synthetix was a pretty cool and innovative concept when it first came out. It enables a decentralised platform on which to trade derivatives of stocks, crypto and I guess commodities, fiat currances, ETFs and whatever else you want trade. It also has its own token and staking but I think it was the first derivatives trading platform.

1 Like
  1. The term DeFi, short for decentralized finance, was born in an August 2018 Telegram chat between Ethereum developers and entrepreneurs including Inje Yeo of Set Protocol, Blake Henderson of 0x and Brendan Forster of Dharma .

2. I think the introduction of Zk rollups should be mentioned in the history of DeFi, although it is relatively new and still being implemented I believe it will play a big role in the future in the scalability of Ethereum network.
    Another big important thing to mention in DeFi history is 1inch which is the first aggregator designed to find the cheapest price across different dexes.

1 Like
  1. The term DeFi originated in a telegram chat between protocol developers.

2. Real-world asset tokenization such as stocks, real-estate, equity, etc. Allows for better interoperability between blockchain and non-blockchain native assets.

2 Likes
  1. The term DeFi is said to have originated in a telegram chat in 2018 between two Ethereum developers.
  2. One of the most important events I can think of in DeFi is one that happened very recently. On March 6th, 2022, Andre Cronje announced that he is no longer building in DeFi and crypto. 25 apps and services relating to him and Anton Nell will be terminated on April 3rd, 2022. The reason this is important is quite obvious as Cronje is known as “The Godfather of DeFi” and created many notable protocols such as Yearn Finance and was a major contributor to the Fantom network. He left due to the toxic community in DeFi and people constantly being dissatisfied. This sheds some light on the perspective of a builder in the space and how the community needs to be less toxic in order to further advance this industry.
2 Likes
  1. Defi was born in 2018 between Ethereum developers and entrepreneurs in a Telegram chat.

2. A Fantom-based DeFI protocol called Fantasm Finance was hacked on March 9, 2022. The exploiters stole $2.6 million. The hackers/exploiters used BNB chain, Fantom and Ethereum. The exploit was triggered by a previously unknown error in Fantasm’s pool contract.

1 Like
  1. Where did the term DeFi originate? Be as detailed in your explanation as you’d like
    A. The term DeFi, short for decentralized finance, was born in an August 2018 Telegram chat between Ethereum developers and entrepreneurs including Inje Yeo of Set Protocol, Blake Henderson of 0x and Brendan Forster of Dharma.

2. Find an important event or protocol that I didn’t mention, but you think is important to be recorded in the history of DeFi. Then explain why it should be included and check out what other community members have added. None of us are as smart as all of us so let’s work together on this.
    B. Unless I missed it when my dog came in, demanding attention, Stable coins and there use as a common means of exchange and transfer of funds was omitted.

1 Like
  1. Assignment – Where did the term DeFi originate? Be as detailed in your explanation as you’d like

The term decentralized finance, or DeFi, goes back to a Telegram chat in 2018 - where a group of software developers and entrepreneurs trying to decide what to call their movement of new-breed financial services that would be automated, built on a blockchain, and capable of competing with traditional banks.

A user with a crypto wallet can trade digital assets, get loans, or take out insurance, among many other things. Some $90 billion of collateral locked up in these services, and more than 10 million people have downloaded MetaMask, one of the most popular digital wallets used to open up access to the DeFi network.

However, the roots of decentralized finance comes from the 2008 bitcoin whitepaper that set out the framework for a novel system for digital cash. This became something bigger when Ethereum was invented a few years later.

1. Forum Task – Find an important event or protocol that I didn’t mention, but you think is important to be recorded in the history of DeFi. Then explain why it should be included and check out what other community members have added. None of us are as smart as all of us so let’s work together on this.

NFTs are like limited edition collectibles—only online. Just as blockchain enables users to prove ownership of their bitcoin holdings, so too does it enable people to make unique digital assets like collectibles and art.

1 Like
  1. The term DeFi was coined in a 2018 telegram chat between Ethereum developers and entrepreneurs

2. Terra Defi ecosystem. With new ways to create yield on a different new solution of blockchain

1 Like