CoinHive - Reading Assignment

1. The large (85%) drop in the crypto market and the drop in the Monero hashrate resulted in CoinHive becoming unviable.
  2. Cryptojacking is malware that uses a host computer to generate hashrate without the users approval.
    3 Cryptojacking related to Coinhive. So rather than steal your money they steal your recourse to do crypto mining to make money.

Coin Hive became inviable because of economic problems of a 50 percent drop in hash rate following the last Monero (XMR) hard fork.

Cryptojacking is using some of the computing power of a browser that loads the site in question by hiding in the browser.

The #1 most wanted malware for 2018 was CoinHive

1. What two factors caused CoinHive to become economically inviable?
  • 50% drop in hash rate following the last Monero hard fork.
  • The cryptocurrency market drop off, with the value of XMR slumping over 85 percent within a year.
  1. What is cryptojacking?
  • This is where a malicious software mines crypto in the background of a users device without the device owners awareness.
  1. What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018?
  • Cryptojacking-related malware.
  1. What two factors caused CoinHive to become economically inviable? An XMR hard fork, and market drop off were listed causes. Cryptojacking of Coinhive a javascript based mining service that uses computer code which is installed on websites and use of some browser computing power that loads the site.
  2. What is cryptojacking? Malware strains or unauthorized mining software, in the mining code.
  3. What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018? Coinhive

• The hash-rate dropped by 50% after the Last Monero hard fork.
    • The Crypto Market dropped.
  2. What is cryptojacking?
    Unauthorized use of Computer or smartphone power to mine Crypto, without that the owner knows it.

3. What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018?
    Cryptojacking by Coinhive

• What two factors caused CoinHive to become economically inviable?
    50% hash rating drop after moneros hard fork

• What is cryptojacking?
    cryptojacking is a form of malware that you won´t see on your device and steals your computing resources for minuing crypto.

• What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018?
    Coinhive

What two factors caused CoinHive to become economically inviable?
A 50% drop in the hash rate and the cryptocurrency market drop off

What is cryptojacking?
It is a malicious attack in which rather than damaging the device, it is used to mine cryptos without authorization

What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018?
Cryptojacking-related with Coinhive

1 Like

The hard fork of Monero and algorithm update of the Monero network on March 9
Use other people’s computer to mine cryptocurrency
CoinHive

1 Like

There were other cryptojacking malware circling around at the time, but Coinhive was the most popular. :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. What two factors caused CoinHive to become economically inviable? The developers note the over 50 percent drop in hash rate following the last Monero (XMR) hard fork and algorithm update of the Monero network.
  2. What is cryptojacking? A type of malware used by hackers.
  3. What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018? Surreptitious XMR.
1 Like
  • Monero hard fork created a 50% drop in hash rate;
  • Monero value dropped by 85% within a year.
  1. What is cryptojacking?
  • Running crypto mining software on other people’s devices without them knowing. They provide resources, you get free money.
  1. What was the #1 most-wanted malware for 2018?
  • Cryptojacking on both PCs and smartphones, mostly related to CoinHive.
1 Like
  1. Two factors that caused Coinhive to become economically inviable are the Monero hard fork dropping the hash rate by over 50% and the value of Monero falling by 85% within a year.

2. Cryptojacking is using malware that mines cryptocurrency on someone else’s device without them knowing.

3. The most wanted malware for 2018 were cryptojacking related malware with Coinhive.

1 Like
  1. 50% drop in hashrate following the announcement of a hard fork and algorithm update of the Monero network and value of XMR dropping 85% over the course of a year
  2. It is the unauthorised access use of a computer, tablet, mobile phone, or connected home device by cyber criminals to mine for cryptocurrency
  3. Coinhive
1 Like

Coinhive became economically inviable after a huge drop is hash rate and a large selloff on the market of over 85%. The mining service used a java based appelett to install software used to mine crypto using the browser, but a new type of cyber crime has evolved from this technological advent, whereby bad actors or hackers convert the mining software into malware and install it maliciously on computers and smartphones, effectively stealing computational power and use that power to mine crypto. Coinhive had three particular strains of malware developed off its XMR mining platform which were on the most wanted list in cryptojacking schemes.

1 Like
  • a) 50 percent drop in hash rate following the last Monero hard fork and b) the 85% drop off in the crypto market.
  • Cryptojacking is an emerging form of malware that hides on your device and steals its computing resources in order to mine for valuable online currencies.
  • Coinhive, precisely.
1 Like
  1. The hard fork, which decreased the mining hash rate by over 50%, and the 85% market drop off over the course of one year.

2. Unauthorized use of a pc, mobile phone, tablet or other device for the purpose of cryptomining.

3. CoinHive

1 Like

1.market cap drop off , with the value of XMR slumped over 85 percent within a year. “This and the announced hard fork and algorithm update of the Monero network
2. unauthorized use of of someone elses comp to mine crypto…
3. coinhive

1 Like
    • 50 percent drop in hash rate following the last Monero hard fork.
      -The service was reportedly also hit by the cryptocurrency market drop off , with the value of XMR slumped over 85 percent within a year.
  1. an increasingly popular malware that steal your computing power and electricity to mine crypto.

2. Cryptojacking software using CoinHive

1 Like
  1. The over 50 percent drop in hash rate following the last Monero hard fork and the cryptocurrency drop of where Monero lost over 85 % in a year.

2. It is when someone else uses your computing resources to mine cryptocurrencies by installing a malware on your computer or devices without you knowing it.

3. The web browser-based Coinhive XMR mining code.

1 Like
    50% drop in hash power after monero hard fork and market drop

malware which use the computing power of its target to mine

coinhive

1 Like