Bitcoin Basics - Discussion

There is no inflation after bitcoin reaches the max number, the maximum number of total Bitcoins cannot exceed 21 million.

1 Like

OK. Thank you!
It’s a bit hard to comprehend having been accustomed to inflation existing for so long!!!

1 Like

guys i have a question about bitcoin.

Ivan explains that bitcoin is a protocol, a language and that it is uncensored and not able to be banned. He talk about sending bitcoin through sms and he uses smoke signals for example. How in the world can you send bitcoin using with sms without internet? because from what i understand, blockchain is a peer 2 peer network and for that you need internet. And how is the sattelite used?

The internet is a medium used to connect and sync the nodes. It is the most convenient way bot not the only one, satellite being one example which uses its own custom protocol.

There already are existing services that offer sending transactions using SMS (I think samurai wallet has that feature), the receiving side would then have to sent the receiving SMS transaction to the Bitcoin node which would propagate it through the P2P network, that could be connected via a satellite instead of being connected to the internet.

Right now this does indeed mean that one of these nodes would had to be connected on the internet so that it would be able to communicate with the rest of the network. But it can be done in case if for example a country would ban outside connections to their internet, people would still be able to sync their nodes using other mediums.

5 Likes

So Far So Good. Im building my understanding :heart:

1 Like

When we have a temporary split in the chain, due to the miners finding the block at the almost same time, some miners will have one truth (Truth A) and others will have the other truth (Truth B). As soon as one of the miners find a new block (Either A or B chain), that chain will be the real truth. The block in the other chain will become stale. So the time it takes for the temporary split to resolve itself is as soon as one of the chains gets a new block. It could be second or minutes. The miners won’t decide to which blockchain to add the new block, they either got the Truth A or Truth B, they follow that until they mine a new block or until they get a new information about the longer chain. :smiley:

5 Likes

I agree to that but if you are using some bitcoin to trade in coinbase it’s insured.

2 Likes

best explanation so far

3 Likes

I watched a video on hardware wallets. Seeing how password are entered offline clearly demonstrated the value of the extra layer of security they provide. They should be a top priority for anyone involved in cryptocurrency.

3 Likes

Maybe. I still wouldn’t bet on that. But great point. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I 100% agree. :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Heavy stuff. But great to know! Thanks for the fantastic info.

I guess it’s a bet. It is the trust that’s important.

Well, I have bought, held and traded Crypto, previously but this is the first time I really see the machinery behind the magic. I now understand how it basically happens. I loved many of the videos and the literature regarding the concept and history of the number Zero. I now understand how private and public keys are generated using NSA’s SHA-256 algorithm and how a signature is also generated using incredible yet simple mathematics such an elliptical curve. The transactions are a bit more difficult to follow for me but I do understand the process.

1 Like

That’s great to hear! We always like to hear positive things from our students :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Ales,
I would like to upgrade but I would rather do a monthly plan.

That is totally fine :slight_smile: you can keep using the monthly plan. If you don’t intend to do many courses its better since its cheaper and can cancel it if you want to take a break for a while. :slight_smile:

1 Like

but how do I upgrade to the Proffesional Monthly Plan?

Contact [email protected] and let them know, they will take care of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

My two cents, if I’ve read your question correctly…

The term miners refers to the hardware (GPU or ASIC Miners) which run the nodes, not individuals.

The mainnet is fully autonomous and can’t be stopped or changed by any individual…
(no ones doing it)

1 Like