Benefits of using Blockchain - Discussion

Sorry Ivan, but cannot leave a Facebook review for this module as I no longer have a FB account.

2 Likes

Blockchain is the most secure way to store data. And in this digital era, data is all around us.

I have a lot of Ideas and thoughts about blockchain and crypto, but I donā€™t know whether they are feasible or not. I hope to find the answers by learning.

2 Likes

Because its decentralised in nature, contents owners will be fully in control of their own contents and be rewarded as such. Its immutable, therefore there is no way of it being modify in any way except by their owners. Probably cheaper because no more massive dedicated Servers ?

No problem :slightly_smiling_face:
I know you would leave a review If you could.
Have a great Facebook-free Life full of educationšŸ˜Ž

4 Likes

Hello this is a beginning of my apprenticeship.

Hello, I just finished watching the bitcoin & Blockchain overview, and I have my first question! You said you could run your own node and download a copy of the blockchain to verify transactions. My question is why would you want to do that?

1 Like

Running a full node is the only way you can use Bitcoin in a trustless way. You will know for sure that all the rules of Bitcoin are being followed, for example that no bitcoins are spent not belonging to the owner, that no coins were spent twice, that no inflation happens outside of the schedule and that all the rules needed to make the system work (e.g. difficulty) are followed. Full nodes are currently the most private way to use Bitcoin, with nobody else learning which bitcoin addresses belong to you. Full nodes are the most secure way to use Bitcoin, they do not suffer from many attacks that affect lightweight wallets

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Full_node

18 Likes

Thanks for the response! Very informative!

1 Like

As a Realtor and a Mom I can think of so many ways the blockchain and smart contracts are world changing. In Real Estate, transfer of property or rental income is a smart contract either managed peer to peer or via platforms to hypothecate tokenized assets over a period of time (bye-bye banks). I suppose Title companies become smart contract facilitators disbursing payments and verifying chain of title, or maybe Iā€™ll build a Dap for that. Home Inspectors may also be learning new skills as smart homes will probably truthfully deliver details about the property although how that information will be stored and audited is beyond me. Appraisers may also step aside as market data is already readily available. Ahemā€¦Realtorsā€¦are we outta jobs or just in career transition, mapquest works well??? Welcome to truth in transactions, hopefully the elimination of frivolous lawsuits, mortgage fraud, and exhorbitant fees.

As a Mom, I love the idea of smart contracts for chore, grade, goal performance for kids; no more caving in to the ā€œbut Momā€ excuses or reneging for other ancillary issues. Just need to add conditional contract scripting to enable the Roomba or call the Tutor when portions of the contract are not being met on a timely basis. Iā€™d like to think more grandly about what the world needs and how the forces of good and evil will battle but I am always brought back to my reality and how scrambled and loud it is. Can someone invent a gaming helmet that creates a barrier of silence around itā€¦please?

10 Likes

Hi chersflair, i have just read you post about blockchain benefits. And just would like to give you my own thoughts and oppinion about tracking the grade and goal performance of kids. Which probably would be a benefit for their moms and dads but maybe, maybe not a benefit for the kid itself. I personally highly doupt that these kind of restriction in privacy is good for the majority of the kids and even more for the society itself. When people get used to be such transparent in young ages, there will be much more acceptation for transparency in there privacy later. A horrible imagination. :confounded:
For me it is certain, that whatever the privacy of an individual threatens or resticts shouldnā€™t be done. We are already transparant enought, no need to get even more. At least, these kind of data you mentioned shoud be owned by the individual kid him or her selfe and not by momies and dadies. :wink: I hope i could express myselfe in a way you understand what i mean. :flushed:
But yeah, real estate, Defi, ownership transfer i totaly agree with. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Benefits of using Blockchain
First of all, not all benefits are just benefits they also can be disadvantages in one way or the other. I just try to keep this in mind.

• It is possible to proof the provenence of funds, goods or other things with a blockchain. This can reduce or even eliminate things like tax evasion and corruption but also brings a loss of privacy.
  • A blockchain can be available from anywhere, at anytime, for everyone. Keep in mind - it always depends on how you design the blockchain. Of couse it is possible to make a private blockchain which is only available for chosen ones. (Or does this already count to an other kind of DLT?)
  • Blockchain apply to be trustless. I personally donā€™t like this term so much as somehow you need to trust something. Eighter, you can check the protocol and trust its mathematical and cryptographical topicality if you are smart enought but if not, like me, you need to trust all other how says that this thing attempt to be legit. Just like in science, blockchains needs to get proven by (computer) science itself and society. Maybe it is better to say, an ideal blockchain is trustless.
  • And there are a lot of other benefits aswell permissionlesness, immutability, no authorities ā€¦
3 Likes

Hi Paultier. Thanks for recognizing my post. I agree that all personā€™s are entitled to privacy and to live their lives as privately as they choose to and share as much as they like as well in whichever way they choose. The kid grade smart contract I implied was really meant to be like a goal for kids to work towards that they can rely on as true. Right now I promise $$$ for chores done without prompting and good grades achieved. The level of consistency in kid performance is still, however, sadly lacking. Thought it may be a motivator. You should check out Ivanā€™s interview with Dr. Ben Goertzel to really deep dive into the connectivity of systems and things, AI and how current goals and development in gaming and crime fighting miss the target of creating beneficial systems that can serve the good of humanity. So interesting.

2 Likes

Benefits of using Blockchain : public ledger, decentralized - completely detached from banks - donā€™t have to ask permission to open account - all you need is an internet connection to send and receive transactions - bitcoin is digital cash and blockchain is the technology that makes it work - blockchain is like a digital stone - can add data, but no way to remove data - blockchain is really a database - all transactions are tracked in the database - cannot cheat or duplicate bitcoin - blockchain tracks all bitcoin you have received. blockchain is a network of computers - each has copy of the entire blockchain - also called a ledger - each transaction is verified in all network of machines. bitcoin is digital currency that is present on the internet - open to everyone to use. can run own bitcoin node at home.Achieved through a network of computers.

Decentralization;
Cutting off the Middle Man;
Transacting value through the Web, not only the Information;
P2P Trust;
Almost incorruptible;
Cheaper to maintain services on a DLT.

The many benenefits of using blockchain are :

security, trustlessness, decentralisation, openness, transparency and immutability. You can only add data to the public ledger.

For me the biggest benefit of the technology is the potential to set you free from the banks! And the system of control loosing their power over you,
Thatā€™s the only reason Iā€™m here.

2 Likes

Its Open, Public, Borderless, Neutral and censorship resistant

Benefits of blockchain, I would say is is a upograde of the old system. I dont think it Will replace it but be a new branch in our development. It Will creat New Ways to store, create and transfer wealth and information.

Still have to follow this course but why I got interested in the blockchain back in 2013. As I have experienced the power of the internet I saw immediately the possibilities of decentral ledgers.

Internet made sharing of information and interacting between peers as easy that it is now the standard.
The blockchain will enable the new standard for transactions and Value exchange.
I started playing with crypto to get to know the behaviour of the blockchain and got really fascinated by the power and potential it has.
The Foucault pendulum is now to the extreem that there is too much control and power in the hands of a minority, thanks to the blockchain it may go in the other direction.

1 Like

awesome Yves,
The more you learn about how it works, The more amazed youā€™ll get about the potential to change the world.

I grew up in an analog world playing in the dirt while growing up with new technology (the 90s was an amazing decade to grow up in)

1 Like